For more than 170 years, Pfizer has continuously worked to make a difference by delivering innovative therapies that improve the lives of our patients. By building a talented community of colleagues that align with our patient-focused purpose and core values, Pfizer has improved global health and impacted more than 780 million patients around the world.
The scope of the role includes being a patent attorney within the Vaccines therapeutic area.
- Providing intellectual property (IP) support for a variety of Research and Development projects, including identifying potential patent opportunities, preparing and prosecuting patent applications on a worldwide basis, monitoring third party research and development activities and other related support.
- Directing, or assisting in directing, Patent Office adversarial proceedings in markets around the world, including Europe where direct participation in proceedings will be required. Coordination with IP Enforcement in the management of Court based adversarial proceedings.
- Performing prior art, patentability and freedom to operate analyses.
- Working closely with Research, Development, Regulatory and commercial legal teams as needed.
- Preparing and filing patent term extension applications.
- Advising project teams, commercial product teams, management in Legal, and WRDM and Commercial groups.
- Providing legal support for IP aspects of relevant business/transactional matters, including conducting IP due diligence in support of potential licensing or acquisition opportunities.
- Managing docket costs, travel and use of outside counsel to ensure that IP support is provided in a cost-effective manner that meets the budgetary goals of the IP Department.
- Participating on key IP and Legal teams, including IP Dept committees, and presenting matters to the Patent Focus Team and other IP and Legal management teams.
- Assisting in handling non-vaccines matters, such as mRNA therapeutic area matters, as needed and directed by the Vaccines and mRNA area Patent Leads.
- J.D. and a member of at least one state bar or a Registered European Patent Attorney
- 7+ years of total relevant experience, to include 5+ years experience while in academia, post-academia, internships, clerkships or similar experience, and including at least 2+ years patent experience at a law firm and/or in-house legal department time
- Registered to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office or the European Patent Office
- Candidate demonstrates a breadth of diverse leadership experiences and capabilities including: the ability to influence and collaborate with peers, develop and coach others, oversee and guide the work of other colleagues to achieve meaningful outcomes and create business impact.
- MS or PhD degree in biology or a related scientific field
- Primarily desk work involving the use of standard word processing and organizational computer applications.
Primarily desk work involving the use of standard word processing and organizational computer applications.
NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
- Occasional travel required (mainly US)
Other Job Details:
- Last Date to Apply for Job: August 16, 2022
- Additional Location Information: Boston, MA; La Jolla, CA; New York, NY; Europe - Any Pfizer Site
- Work Location Assignment:Flexible
Pfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider’s name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative.
EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.