The Cell and Protein Sciences Group at AbbVie Bioresearch Center in Worcester, MA is seeking a highly motivated and experienced molecular biologist for engineering AAV vectors for gene therapy in a newly established rAAV Research and Production team. The candidate will work collaboratively with our therapeutic area teams to advance AbbVie’s rAAV pipeline. The ideal candidate will have molecular virology and biotechnology experience to design and engineer recombinant viruses that express foreign genes efficiently using insect and mammalian cell lines. Experience in vector engineering and production using multiple plasmid approaches is desired.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- The candidate will work on the optimization of ITR elements, screen for strong tissue specific promoters and enhancers, work on codon optimization and polyadenylation and identify methods to increase the size of the transgene that can be packaged.
- Maintain a high level of productivity in the team with clear daily, detailed, and accurate documentation of experiments and development of protocols
- Collaborate with cross functional teams to meet project goals, and advance novel vectors into pipeline
- Build strong relationships with key stakeholders inside and outside ABC
- Present science, plans and data updates to project teams and senior leadership
- Author technical reports and protocols
- Understand and enforce company culture, teamwork, safety, appropriate handling of materials in an BSL2 environment
- BS, MS, or PhD with typically 10-12+ (BS), 8-10+ (MS), or 0-4+ (PhD) years of relevant experience
- Experience in rAAV production using insect and mammalian cell platforms
- Experience in design and delivery of viral vectors
- Experience in using AAV to deliver vectorized biologics is a plus
- Track record of completing deliverables within specified timelines
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Strong scientific curiosity with a passion for problem-solving and optimization
- Self-motivated with excellent attention to detail and ability to multi-task. Strong organizational, planning and trouble-shooting skills
- Ability to work effectively in a highly collaborative and dynamic environment
Key Leadership Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross-functional team members
- Learns quickly, grasps the 'essence' and can change the course quickly when needed
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo
- Embraces a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for continuous improvement
Position will be hired based on level of experience.