Reporting to the SVP Commercial Strategy & Innovation, this leader serves as the single, cohesive commercial voice responsible for setting and delivering Vaccines/mRNA/Infectious Disease Platform strategy and advancing organic (internal pipeline) and inorganic (business development via external sourcing) investment cases. This position represents the Vaccines/mRNA/Infectious Disease Platform from a holistic commercial perspective to provide insight and input into drug development and business development processes as we strive to deliver breakthroughs to patients.
This includes representing business interests related to research focus, clinical trial design, clinical endpoints, HEOR and market access considerations. She/he partners with cross-functional leaders the WRD CSO, GPD CDO and their teams, Business Development, as well as Regulatory, PHI, PharmSci, and Biopharma Commercial and Medical as appropriate.
This individual will lead a team responsible for commercial interests related to Vaccines/mRNA/Infectious Disease Platform from discovery research through lifecycle management. Team responsibilities include setting strategy, aligning cross-functionally and executing the strategy. Deliverables inherent include creating/maintaining product concepts/target product profiles aligned with Pfizer’s breakthrough criteria, partnering actively with WRD/GPD/WWBD project teams and representing the business investment case/rationale to senior management in governance forums (e.g. portfolio prioritization, DP3, AiP, etc.). This leader also is a member of the Commercial Strategy & Innovation Leadership Team and is expected to take an active role in refining and advancing the Pfizer enterprise portfolio strategy.
The leader will be a dynamic, experienced individual with a strong track record of strategy, influence and team leadership across a variety of settings and topics in the pharmaceutical or biopharmaceutical industry. S/he must have the proven ability to effectively manage complex and ambiguous projects, influence stakeholders without authority, effectively network across the organization and communicate with senior leaders all within a fast moving, challenging and dynamic commercial environment.
Specific responsibilities include but will not be limited to the following:
- Develop and execute on a holistic Vaccines/mRNA/Infectious Disease Platform strategic vision to balance near-term and long-term priorities and commit to a course of action to accomplish established goals.
- Provide strategic thinking to allow for identification of future market opportunities, review of the franchise portfolio and prioritization of opportunities for internal research, and external opportunities for potential acquisition or partnering
- Ensure the commercial perspective and strategy is well articulated, communicated to, and agreed by the relevant parties including clinical research and regulatory affairs.
- Build out, lead and develop an industry leading team to deliver on the scope and remit of the Vaccines/mRNA/Infectious Disease Platform
- Direct the development of life cycle plans for compounds from IND stage through loss of exclusivity.
- Oversee pipeline program commercial assessment, market research and development strategies.
- Provide oversight into the development of pipeline products including an integrated evidence plan that will differentiate the product for marketing and reimbursement, identify clinical endpoints and outcomes for clinical trials and real-world evidence generation that are meaningful for physicians and patients, and lead to product differentiation.
- Forge strong working relationships with WRD/GPD/WWBD/PHI/Biopharma partners, cross functional leadership and senior executives.
- Support assessment, evaluation, and integration of Business Development deals.
- Lead by example, respecting Pfizer core values.
- 15+ years' experience working in the biopharmaceutical industry in marketing and sales roles with increasing responsibilities, complexity and accountabilities; experience working in global markets such the European Union, Japan or other major markets is highly desirable.
- Experience in both in-line and global marketing
- BA/BS degree required; an MBA and/or advanced scientific or medical degree highly desired
- Demonstrates a breadth of diverse leadership experiences and capabilities including: the ability to influence and collaborate with peers, develop and coach others, oversee and guide the work of other colleagues to achieve meaningful outcomes and create business impact.
- Integrative decision-making considering alternatives and trade-offs based on logical assumptions, available resources, constraints and organizational values
- Strong strategic thinking using knowledge of economic, financial, market and industry trends to contribute to effective business strategies and tactics
- Technical expertise in end to end lifecycle management of a brand, launch planning and execution, and disease area assessment; support of R&D through the drug development process; and evaluation of business development and pipeline opportunities
- Expertise in the field of biopharmaceuticals with a solid understanding of diseases, epidemiology, humanistic and cultural dynamics in the field, and the underlying science underpinning the various approaches toward treatment and prevention of disease
- Effectively communicates with and influences others and seen as a thought partner to senior leaders in the organization and is able to use effective persuasion to gain acceptance of ideas
- Supports the development of team and individual’s knowledge, skills and abilities so they can fulfil job responsibilities more effectively and efficiently
- An inspiring leader motivating individuals and teams toward higher levels of engagement and performance aligned with the organizations needs and vision.
Additional Posting Information
- Last date to apply: September 3, 2022
Pfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider’s name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative.
EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Marketing and Market Research