Freenome is a high-growth biotech company on a mission since 2014 to create tools that empower everyone to prevent, detect, and treat their disease. To achieve this mission, Freenome is developing next-generation blood tests to detect cancer in its earliest, most treatable stages using our multiomics platform and machine learning techniques. Our first blood test will detect early-stage colorectal cancer and advanced adenomas.
About the Role
At Freenome, our goal is to improve patient outcomes by pioneering the next-generation of blood tests for early and accurate disease detection using our combined multi-omics and machine learning platform. As a Staff Research Scientist in Genomics, you will contribute to the program’s technical base by creating and optimizing new next-generation sequencing (NGS) assays and workflows for DNA/RNA, or to the program’s scientific base by elevating our understanding of the biological context of these assay signals in cancer. In this role, you will lead projects to evaluate emergent technologies that have the potential to improve our diagnostic tests, collect and analyze NGS datasets (including genomics, epigenomics, and transcriptomics) for biomarker discovery, and augment existing multi-omic models with novel signals you discover. You will also work closely with computational biologists and machine learning scientists to provide biological and technical insights, and to provide new data sources to enhance ongoing computational research projects.
How you’ll contribute:
- Apply fundamental understanding of molecular biology, nucleic-acid biochemistry, and NGS to develop new molecular assays that span both genome-wide and targeted strategies.
- Stay at the cutting edge of NGS methodology to identify and evaluate new technologies to improve our multi-omics capabilities.
- Refine and optimize existing NGS assays by characterizing assay performance and implementing workflow and protocol improvements (including nucleic acid extraction, library preparation, and downstream analysis).
- Investigate the biological origin of blood-based biomarkers by performing detailed characterization of cell-free material, tumors, and the immune system.
- Drive biomarker discovery studies that leverage both in-house generated datasets and published reference databases.
- Collaborate with computational biologists and software engineers to build analysis pipelines that appropriately integrate new molecular technologies.
- Lead projects spanning molecular and computational functions to better understand the underlying biology of non-invasive cancer biomarkers
- Manage 1-3 junior scientists or research associates, helping them grow and contribute to our mission
What you’ll bring:
- PhD (or equivalent industry experience) in molecular biology, biochemistry, genetics, cancer biology, immunology, or a related field.
- 7+ years post-PhD experience in NGS assays (for Staff-level Research Scientist).
- Proven track record of implementing new methods for NGS-based protocols that go beyond commercially available kits.
- Ability to perform NGS data analysis to enable experimental iteration independent of external support.
- Clear communication skills with an ability to clearly communicate across diverse audiences with a range of technical knowledge
- Demonstrated ability to lead cross-functional collaborations, including team members in the same and adjacent disciplines.
- Deep understanding of cancer biology and experience working with cancer genomics datasets to interrogate molecular mechanisms (e.g., TCGA)
- Experience managing, mentoring, and training junior scientists or research associates.
- Valuable supplementary skills include:
- Experience with methods for DNA methylation analysis (e.g., bisulfite sequencing), leading to successful publication, patent filing, funding, or other project completion milestones.
- Fluency in a common scientific programming language (e.g., Python or R).
- Experience working with liquid handling platforms for high-throughput research projects.
As a condition of employment, you agree to know and comply with our COVID-19 vaccination policy requiring all employees who work on-site and/or attend work-related events to be fully vaccinated and to receive a COVID-19 booster once eligible. Company employees working on-site are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and to receive a COVID-19 booster once eligible, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law. Absent a reasonable accommodation or legal exception, you agree to provide proof of your vaccination status and to be fully vaccinated by your first day on-site, in accordance with our policy. If you are currently eligible for a COVID-19 booster, you also agree to provide proof of having received a booster. If you are not yet eligible for a COVID-19 booster, you must provide proof of receiving a booster within two weeks of becoming eligible.
Freenome is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. Freenome does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
We have raised more than $1.1B from leading investors including Perceptive Advisors, RA Capital Management, Roche Venture Fund, Kaiser Permanente, Novartis and the American Cancer Society’s BrightEdge Ventures.
A ‘Freenomer’ is a mission-driven employee who is fueled by the opportunity to make a positive impact on patients' lives, who thrives in a culture of respect and cross collaboration, and whose work makes a significant impact on the company and their career.
Freenomers are technical, creative, visionary, grounded, empathetic and passionate. We build teams around divergent expertise, allowing us to solve problems and ascertain opportunities in unique ways. Freenomers are some of the most talented experts in their fields, joining together to advance healthcare, one breakthrough at a time.
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Competitive compensation
- Pre-IPO equity
- Flexible PTO (exempt) and generous PTO (non-exempt)
- Comprehensive health coverage, including medical, dental, and vision
- Wellness and mental health resources, including Employee Assistance Programs (EAPs), Paid maternity and paternity leave
- 401(k) plan
- $250.00 new hire stipend to enhance your home office experience
- Plus, a variety of other perks, including pre-tax commuter benefits, two paid volunteer days per year, pet insurance, and additional discounts
# # #
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws.
Notice to agencies:
Our in-house Talent Acquisition Team manages all employment opportunities at Freenome. Agencies and independent recruiters must be approved as a vendor by Freenome’s Talent Acquisition team before submitting candidates to any Freenome employee.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes or biographies from agencies under any circumstances. Any unsolicited resumes sent to Freenome, including those sent to a Freenome email address or directly to Freenome employees, will be considered Freenome property. Freenome will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume. Freenome will consider any candidate for whom an Agency has submitted an unsolicited resume to have been referred by the Agency free of any charges or fees.
Please do not contact Freenome employees directly. Compliance with this request will impact our decision to work with you.
#LI-Remote, #LI-Onsite, #LI-Hybrid