Company Profile:Vaxcyte, Inc. (Nasdaq: PCVX)
is a vaccine innovation company engineering high-fidelity vaccines to protect humankind from the consequences of bacterial diseases. The Company is developing broad-spectrum conjugate and novel protein vaccines to prevent or treat bacterial infectious diseases. Vaxcyte’s lead candidate, VAX-24, is a 24-valent, broad-spectrum pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV) being developed for the prevention of invasive pneumococcal disease (IPD). The Company is re-engineering the way highly complex immunizations are made through modern synthetic techniques, including advanced chemistry and our exclusively licensed XpressCFTM cell-free protein synthesis platform. Unlike conventional cell-based approaches, the Company’s system for producing difficult-to-make proteins and antigens is intended to accelerate its ability to efficiently create and deliver high-fidelity vaccines with enhanced immunological benefits. Vaxcyte’s pipeline also includes VAX-XP, a PCV with an expanded breadth of coverage of greater than 30 strains; VAX-A1, a prophylactic vaccine candidate designed to prevent Group A Strep infections; and VAX-PG, a therapeutic vaccine candidate designed to slow or stop the progression of periodontal disease. The Company is driven to eradicate or treat invasive bacterial infections, which have serious and costly health consequences when left unchecked. For more information, visit www.vaxcyte.com
Vaxcyte, headquartered in San Carlos, CA, went public in June 2020 and currently has a team of approximately 100 employees and anticipates continued, significant growth. On January 6, 2022, Vaxcyte announced that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) had cleared the Investigational New Drug (IND) application for VAX-24, its lead vaccine candidate. The Company initiated the VAX-24 Phase 1/2 clinical proof-of-concept study in adults in the first quarter of 2022 and expects to announce Phase 2 topline immunogenicity, safety, and tolerability results by the end of the year. VAX-24 was designed to prevent IPD, which can be most serious for infants, young children, older adults and those with immune deficiencies or certain chronic health conditions. Given the global impact of pneumococcal disease remains significant, the public health community continues to advocate for vaccines that can offer broader protection to prevent IPD. Vaxcyte’s PCV franchise, consisting of VAX-24 and VAX-XP, is designed specifically to address this need and has the potential to deliver the broadest protection for this very serious disease. Summary:
The (Senior) Vice President ((S)VP), Business Development will report to the President & CFO and work closely with the leadership team to help define and develop the company’s business development strategy and lead the execution of such strategy. The (S)VP, Business Development will possess the strategic insight, commercial acumen, scientific understanding, broad market perspective and industry relationships to lead all business development activities. This individual will partner with the leadership team to develop the long-range strategic business and corporate development plans for the company, and be responsible for translating the overall strategy into tactical plans to identify and execute value-creating business and commercial partnerships within the biotech/pharma sector.
The (S)VP, Business Development will have significant experience and a proven track record of developing business development strategies and negotiating and executing transactions within the biotechnology/pharma/life sciences sector. This individual will be an external face of the organization and build relationships and credibility with collaboration partners and prospects.
- Work closely with the President & CFO and members of the leadership team to develop the vision, strategy, business plan and requirements necessary to pursue business development deals and partnerships.
- Develop appropriate analyses to help evaluate and prioritize new potential opportunities.
- Manage overall process regarding potential transactions with both internal constituents and external audiences.
- Play a lead role in initiating, advising and negotiating arrangements the company may consider such as partnerships, licensing agreements, strategic alliances, joint ventures and mergers and acquisitions, as well as preside over any subsequent due diligence processes.
- Effectively present and “sell” to pharmaceutical and biotechnology or other appropriate organizations the potential benefits of partnering with (or licensing to) Vaxcyte.
- Evaluate and provide insight into existing and new markets, products and technologies. Stay current on industry trends; seek and leverage innovative science and technology platforms and appropriately influence the company to adapt to market opportunities.
- Cultivate a strong and effective partnership with the R&D teams to evaluate the potential of early-stage programs and identify possible new opportunities.
- 10+ years of business development leadership experience in the biotechnology/pharma sector, with a strong history of successful business development transactions.
- Strong scientific orientation and can easily learn the science, clinical practices, market dynamics and competitive products; while a scientific background or degree is not required, it is desirable.
- Previous experience in the vaccine sector is strongly preferred.
- Previous leadership experience at either a top-tier biotechnology or pharmaceutical company along with experience in management consultancy, investment banking or other similar environments is strongly preferred.
- Track record of identifying, evaluating, structuring, negotiating and successfully completing transactions such as R&D collaborations, in- and out-licensing agreements, strategic alliances and other types of transactions.
- In-depth knowledge of the biopharmaceutical industry and key vaccines players, both large and small companies.
- Translates broad corporate strategies into clear, specific objectives and plans, and successfully executes against corporate strategic imperatives.
- Able to apply scientific and market knowledge to assess a product or technology’s strategic fit, clinical viability and commercial value.
- Uses outside experts effectively.
- Energetic self-starter with strong executive presence and the ability to work effectively in an entrepreneurial environment.
- Proven ability to work as a collaborative strategic partner with the leadership and R&D teams.
- Excellent written and interpersonal skills; ability to interface and communicate effectively with executive management and other functions within the organization.
- Excellent judgment, critical-thinking skills and the ability to see problems and develop solutions to support business decision-making.
- Embodies Vaxcyte’s cultural attributes: caring, courage, excellence and passion.
- All Vaxcyte employees require vaccination against COVID-19.
President & CFO Location:
San Carlos, CA Compensation:
The compensation package will be competitive and includes comprehensive benefits and an equity component.