Responsible for providing accurate, timely, and unbiased medical information (MI) for the assigned therapeutic area(s). This includes establishing, maintaining, and utilizing product/disease state subject matter expertise to respond to unsolicited unfacilitated inquiries from HCPs and consumers, requests submitted by in-field Medical and Commercial teams, and MI inquiries escalated from affiliates and MI Call Center staff, and managing the development, approval, and maintenance of global and region-specific medical/technical global content (GC) response documents used for product inquiries from internal customers such as country affiliate staff, and from external customers including healthcare professionals (eg, external experts, physicians, pharmacists, nurses, etc.) and consumers.
- Provides timely and accurate development of up to 60% of time on global core content, summarizes clinical guidelines, and assists in the development/approval of Data on File in accordance with established policies and practice standards. Ensures content conveys a clear and appropriate medical message. Provides review and approval of medical content, including complex and sensitive information. Ensures compliance with regulatory and corporate requirements.
- Represents AbbVie Medical Information at global and key scientific conferences, as required.
- Able to evaluate data, and maintain an in-depth understanding of product knowledge, associated disease states, treatment guidelines, labeling, and relevant internal data for assigned therapeutic area.
- May serve as an active member of Global and/or Area/Local Medical Affairs and/or commercial teams for products with limited complexity and/or indications. May receive direction from more senior members of medical information.
- May partner with internal colleagues (Brand Teams, Hub management, Global/Regional TA Leads, Area/Regional medical) to ensure creation of relevant core content to meet customer needs.
- Assists in providing solutions to deliver medical information to customers in unique and innovative ways (e.g. SMS, video, podcast). Commercially aware of the needs of internal and external customers.
- Critically evaluates literature, interprets complex data, and adapts delivery of information to a variety of audiences.
- Identify global medical information insights based on Medical Information inquiries and partner with cross-functional colleagues to identify scientific gaps and strategic solutions.
- Assist in the development and delivery of core content and general medical information training.
• Must be self-motivated, highly organized, detail-oriented and able to multitask with delivering high quality work.
• Mastery of use of computer systems, database, and software applications, including Microsoft Office, Excel, PowerPoint and knowledge of medical information’s inquiry repository, such as Veeva Vault and Salesforce preferred.
• Ability to coordinate and lead multidisciplinary and cross-functional meetings. Must possess excellent interpersonal, communication, and leadership skills.
• Understanding of the legal and regulatory environment of pharmaceutical industry desired.
• Possesses strong teamwork attributes and cultural sensitivity.
• Must possess excellent oral and written English communication skills. Medical writing skills highly desired.
• Experience in providing innovative and unique solutions for delivery of medical information desired.
• Maintains expert understanding of product knowledge, labeling, and relevant data. Able to apply knowledge across multiple therapeutic areas.
• Solid clinical understanding of disease states and the implications of treatment. Strong knowledge of clinical trial methodology, statistical concepts, and independent evaluation and interpretation of complex literature.
Qualifications (education and experience)
- Bachelor’s degree in Nursing, PA, Pharmacy, PhD in Health Sciences, or MD/DO program.
• Advanced degree preferred.
• 2+ years of experience in the pharmaceutical industry or 4+ years of experience in health care related field preferred.
• Substantial understanding of relevant therapeutic area(s) required, with a basic understanding of how medical information content and communications supports AbbVie business needs.
• Drug Information residency preferred.