Capstan Therapeutics is developing a targeted delivery platform and therapeutics to reprogram immune cells in vivo in a scalable and controlled format, for a broad range of disease categories. The core technology originating from University of Pennsylvania comprises Targeted Lipid Nanoparticles (tLNPs) to enable off-the-shelf immunotherapies, with tight control of dosage and of activity of engineered cells. The objective is to advance transformative first-in-class and best-in-class products for oncology, fibrosis and inflammation-related diseases, and blood monogenic disorders. Our dynamic start-up is founded by pioneers in the field of immunotherapy, regenerative medicine and drug delivery including experienced industry leaders and academic faculty members from U Penn.
In summary, Capstan Therapeutics aspires to become the leader of a new revolution in medicine, opening the avenue of in vivo reprogramming of the immune system and bringing this treatment modality to a broad range of medical needs. With locations in Philadelphia and San Diego, we are looking for talented individuals to join us.
We are currently hiring a highly motivated Research Associate II or Senior Research Associate to join our newly formed Formulation/Process Development team. In this role, you will directly work on formulation and process development of the most exciting CAR-tLNP drug product, to support emerging research pipelines focused on oncology, fibrosis and inflammation-related diseases, and blood monogenic disorders.
This position will report into the Senior Formulation Scientist and based at our San Diego office. This role will involve hands-on laboratory work. All duties will be performed in compliance with Capstan’s standard operating procedures (SOPs).
Experience with lipid nanoparticle formulation and purification processes, or experience with process development, engineering and manufacturing of biologics drug product processes are highly desired.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Prepare, formulate, and characterize nucleic based complex lipid nanoparticle formulations.
- Develop the formulation and purification process for lipid nanoparticle based nucleic acid formulations with targeting modalities, as well as scaling up of the process.
- Perform investigations of aberrant results, determination of root causes, and recommends action plan to ensure process robustness.
- Perform formulation stability studies, contact material compatibility, and stability the study, in-use compatibility study, and accelerated stability studies.
- Maintain proper documentation of all experimental procedures and results, including batch records, protocols, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and other manufacturing related documentation.
- Prepare technical reports and presentations which summarize procedures, study results, and data interpretation as needed.
- Work with other formulations and/or colleagues in other department as a team, deliver high quality results in an accurate and a time sensitive manner.
- All other tasks and duties assigned as perceived and agreed upon by management.
- Bachelor or master’s degree in Chemistry, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering, Bioengineering or other related science field with 2-5 years of relevant industry experience.
- Hands-on experience working with nucleic acid and/or lipid nanoparticle-based formulations, complex/nanoparticle formulations, other biological formulation, and working knowledge of tangential flow filtration or other purification process.
- Ability to work in a well-lit heated and/or air-conditioned indoor office and occasional laboratory setting with adequate ventilation. Light physical activity performing non-strenuous daily activities of a productive/technical nature. May require long periods of standing/sitting.
- Comfortable working in a highly innovative, changing, fast-paced environment with multi-task skills is required.
- Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines. Has the discipline to stay focused and complete specific tasks
- Detail oriented with good organizational skills. Team player with excellent verbal and written communication skills that are critical to the role.
If you are interested in hearing more, reach out to us. We believe that each team member will impact and improve the lives of those we work with, and those we work for—our patients.
Capstan is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform critical job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.
Unsolicited resumes sent to Capstan from recruiters do not constitute any type of relationship between the recruiter and Capstan and do not obligate Capstan to pay fees should we hire from those resumes. We ask that external recruiters and/or agencies not contact or present candidates directly to our hiring managers or employees.