ABOUT THE COMPANY:
AbbVie (NYSE:ABBV) is a global, research-based biopharmaceutical company formed in 2013 following separation from Abbott Laboratories. The company's mission is to use its expertise, dedicated people and unique approach to innovation to develop and market advanced therapies that address some of the world's most complex and serious diseases. AbbVie employs approximately 48,000 people worldwide and markets medicines in more than 170 countries.
The Data Solutions Department within the Information Research (IR) Division is building the next generation of data management and decision support tools and services to optimize the efficiency and efficacy of research and development at AbbVie.
The Database Engineer is a critical technical role for AbbVie within the Data Solutions department. This position provides a combination of thought leadership and execution in the ongoing design, development and delivery of AbbVie’s Discovery and Preclinical Development data warehouses. This position provides the tactical IT leadership to achieve business and enterprise operating objectives, including support of key business solutions in the preclinical space. Key responsibilities include the technical stewardship for AbbVie’s preclinical data warehouses, PL/SQL development and providing oracle leadership within Data Solutions. Provide solutions to performance related issues and work with downstream systems to support data driven demands. Escalate open issues to ensure execution success and keeps stakeholders informed through effective verbal and written communication. Responsible for modifying existing software to correct errors and/or improve performance.
- Business Knowledge – knowledge in Drug Discovery or Drug Development is important
- Collaborative Design – you should find it inspiring to work with a wide variety of colleagues (e.g., data scientists, developers, scientists); understand their needs and then propose and build solutions
- Build – through your own efforts and by working with other database engineers, develop custom solutions/processes that contribute to and help foster the growing AbbVie data integration environment
- Adaptability – given our diverse mission you should be able to move fluidly between different project responsibilities
- Breadth – as a talented and motivated Database Engineer, you can contribute to a wide variety of missions related to enhancing drug discovery and development
Bachelors degree in relevant field and at least 5 years relevant experience OR Masters degree in relevant field and at least 4 years experience.
- Working knowledge of the drug discovery and/or drug development process is desired
- Responsible for having a concise understanding of the end to end operational data warehouses, including system integrations, data quality and harmonization rules, as well as an understanding of downstream information consumption
- Have the necessary skills and experience to both design and develop ETLs in PL/SQL (using materialized views, packages, procedures, triggers, functions etc.)
- Experience in advanced analytical SQL and performance tuning SQL queries in Oracle are required.
- Experience using python for file processing and orchestrating data pipelines.
- Experience replicating data from other databases (MySQL/MS SQL Server/Hadoop) to Oracle is desired.
- Demonstrated expertise with Oracle required, MS SQL Server, My SQL is a plus
- Dedicated team player who can interface with stakeholders from a variety of internal IT disciplines (infrastructure, DBAs, architects, data scientists, etc.)
- Proficient in python scripting (preferred) or Unix shell scripting
- Experience using latest features in Oracle including but not limited to JSON and XML data processing is a plus.
- A self-motivated learner and thinker with a hands-on approach
- An analytical mind with outstanding interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
**Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled**