We are currently searching for an Engineering Laboratory Technician to assume responsibility for the engineering laboratories and fabrication capabilities, as well as work with engineers in fabricating, assembling, testing, installing, and debugging a wide range of devices and systems. This opportunity is full-time, and it is on site in Bethesda, MD.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Control of lab operations, including maintenance, organization, and inventory.
- Fabricate and assemble electrical, optical, and mechanical designs.
- Operate and maintain machinery, such as circuit board plotter, 3D printers, CNC mill, laser
- cutter, and other fabrication equipment.
- Assist engineers with testing, installation, and/or debugging of systems.
- Troubleshoot electronic, optical, and mechanical systems and devices.
- Design and implement small electronic and/or mechanical devices and systems.
- Educate/ensure staff safety compliance for general lab and specific machines.
- Interact with NIH campus investigators and trainees on biomedical research projects.
- Serve as point‐person for laboratory meetings and work resulting from impromptu visits from NIH campus staff.
- Minimum Associates degree and/or multi‐year related experience or the equivalent
- Trade/technical school graduate or military avionics/communication training would be looked on
- At least 3 years of experience as lab or industry technician, or experience in a makerspace
- Shows initiative to improve lab operations and management
- Good communication skills to work with multiple team members over a broad range variety of
- technology development projects
- Good understanding of basic concepts of electrical voltage, resistance, capacitance, and current
- Good understanding of basic concepts of mechanical systems, fabrication, and assembly
- Experience troubleshooting electronic and mechanical devices and systems
- Experience prototyping and testing electronic circuits (soldering, understanding data sheets and
- specifications, evaluating performance)
- Experience with signal generators, oscilloscopes, and power supplies
- Experience with hand and power tools such as drills, grinders, and saws
- Ability to learn new technical skills as necessary to achieve project goals
- Experience with computer‐aided design software (training on the particular package used will be
- Experience with 3D printers (training on the particular package used will be available)
- Desired Qualifications and Skills:
- Experience with microcontrollers (e.g., Arduino) or Raspberry Pi microcomputer
- Experience in makerspace or fab‐lab environment, mission, and operations
- Basic programming skills/concepts ‐ Python or C preferred
- Experience with advanced electronic test equipment (network analyzer, spectrum analyzer, etc.)
- Software related skills including Mechanical CAD, Solidworks, Electronics CAD, Altium, Python, C/C++, MS Office Suite, Git
- Other skills including Inventory Management, Laboratory Organization 2, Verbal Communication, Written Communication, 3D Printers 3, Mechanical Tools 4, CNC Mills, Soldering 5, Basic Electric Concepts, Oscilloscopes, DMMs, Function Generators, Fabrication and Assembly, Makerspace
Dovel Technologies and its Family of Companies (Medical Science & Computing and Ace Info Solutions) was acquired in October 2021.
Guidehouse is a leading global provider of consulting services to the public sector and commercial markets, with broad capabilities in management, technology, and risk consulting. By combining our public and private sector expertise, we help clients address their most complex challenges and navigate significant regulatory pressures focusing on transformational change, business resiliency, and technology-driven innovation. Across a range of advisory, consulting, outsourcing, and digital services, we create scalable, innovative solutions that help our clients outwit complexity and position them for future growth and success. The company has more than 12,000 professionals in over 50 locations globally. Guidehouse is a Veritas Capital portfolio company, led by seasoned professionals with proven and diverse expertise in traditional and emerging technologies, markets, and agenda-setting issues driving national and global economies.
Guidehouse is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, age, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.
Guidehouse will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law or ordinance, including the Fair Chance Ordinance of Los Angeles and San Francisco.
If you have visited our website for information about employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require accommodation, please contact Guidehouse Recruiting at 1-571-633-1711 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@guidehouse.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodation.
Guidehouse does not accept unsolicited resumes through or from search firms or staffing agencies. All unsolicited resumes will be considered the property of Guidehouse, and Guidehouse will not be obligated to pay a placement fee.