Senior Medical Scientist, Hematology (Pacific Northwest)
United States - West RegionUnited States - Washington - Seattle
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company’s five core values. That’s because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossible
Gilead Sciences is continuing to hire for all open roles. Our interview process may be conducted virtually and some roles will be asked to temporarily work from home. Over the coming weeks and months, we will be implementing a phased approach to bringing employees back to site to ensure the health and safety of our teams.For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.Job Description
Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops, and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
Headquartered in Foster City, California, Gilead has operations in North America, Europe, and Australia. We are committed to transforming the promise of science and technology into therapies that can make a meaningful difference in patients' lives.
We are passionate about advancing treatments for - and potentially curing - some of the world's most challenging and complex illnesses and bringing these scientific innovations to people in need. Focus on areas of high unmet needs, including HIV, HBV, HCV, Oncology, Inflammatory & Infectious diseases.
This field-based Senior Medical Scientist
will be part of a team of Medical Scientists reporting to a Field Director. The Senior MS will disseminate clinical information about Gilead's innovative hematology and oncology products to thought-leaders, academic institutions, healthcare professionals, and professional organizations. The geography includes *WA/OR/ID/MT/WY/UT/
CO/AK.Principal Roles and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:*Level/Title of the position will be determined by education and years of experience. A Principal Medical Scientist requires 8+ years of experience with a relevant degree. We will consider candidates with less than five years of experience with a relevant degree at the Sr. Medical Scientist level.*Our preferred cities are Seattle, Portland, Denver, and Salt Lake City.
- Responds to clinical inquiries regarding marketed or developmental Gilead heme/onc products
- Delivers timely, accurate, and succinct clinical and scientific presentations to heme/ onc healthcare providers proactively and in response to requests for information, consistent with promotional compliance, PhRMA guidelines, and FDA regulatory requirements.
- Implements defined goals and objectives aligned with the Medical Affairs Plan of Action and other strategic initiatives.
- Provides independent thought and initiative in the preparation and completion of a variety of projects and ensuing reports.
- Participates in special projects based on extensive knowledge base, experience, and competency, using a degree of autonomy in the preparation and completion of projects and reports and by establishing relationships with internal and external contacts as needed
- Identifies and develops relationships with regional and national opinion leaders to support Gilead products; establishes strong relationships with opinion leaders, clinical investigators, and providers in academic and non-academic settings.
- Trains Gilead-approved speakers through personal contacts and on-site visits.
- Serves as a medical resource to Gilead's heme/onc Therapeutic Sales Specialists and provides sales force with training at national and regional levels
- Participate in advisory boards, symposia, and clinical conferences
- Supports the Gilead Phase IV program that collaborates with investigators and internal Gilead personnel.
- Selects sites for both Phase IV and other clinical trials.
- Anticipates complex obstacles and difficulties that may arise in the field and collaboratively resolve them.
- Works collaboratively with Gilead personnel in Sales, Marketing, Clinical Research, Global Safety, and Medical Communication.
- Sought out from within and outside Gilead for advice and collaboration on complex issues and resolution of complex problems.
- Supports the development, deployment, and appropriate use of field tools and resources (e.g., slide decks)
- Maintains familiarity with all relevant complex scientific data and commits to continuing education to maintain knowledge base.
- Has the ability to work as a member of several teams, such as the national MS team, regional sales team, national accounts, and others.
- Adheres to all applicable pharmaceutical codes, Office of Inspector General (OIG) guidelines, and Gilead policies
- Exhibits Gilead's core values: integrity, teamwork, accountability, excellence, and inclusion
- Advanced medical/scientific/clinical degree (MD, DO, Ph.D., PharmD, NP, and PA preferred) with experience in the pharmaceutical industry or related healthcare field required
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in a medically related endeavor (i.e., heme/onc disease and medicine), with solid knowledge of the clinical research process, treatment landscape, and professional society treatment guidelines.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently
- Capacity to develop and deliver high-quality presentations is essential.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills are required.
- Affinity for a collaborative, team-oriented environment and approach; ability to network and partner with internal and external stakeholders, including medical thought-leaders, academic institutions, large group practices, medical directors, and pharmacy directors
- Excellent project management and organizational skills, including the management of multiple priorities and resources
- Strong business skills/acumen; translation of scientific expertise and knowledge to achieve the identified business goals of the company
- Ability to travel > 70% of the time, occasionally with short notice
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com
for assistance.Following extensive monitoring, research, consideration of business implications and advice from internal and external experts, Gilead has made the decision to require all U.S., Canada, Australia, Singapore, and Hong Kong employees and contractors to receive the COVID-19 vaccines as a condition of employment. “Full vaccination” is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request a reasonable accommodation.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the 'EEO is the Law'
poster.NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACTYOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACTPAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.