Sr. SQL Server DBA
United States - North Carolina - Raleigh
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company’s five core values. That’s because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossible
Gilead Sciences is continuing to hire for all open roles. Our interview process may be conducted virtually and some roles will be asked to temporarily work from home. Over the coming weeks and months, we will be implementing a phased approach to bringing employees back to site to ensure the health and safety of our teams.For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.Job Description
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a biopharmaceutical company that has pursued and achieved breakthroughs in medicine for more than three decades, with the goal of creating a healthier world for all people. The company is committed to pursuing scientific invention to prevent and treat life-threatening diseases, including HIV, viral hepatitis and cancer. Gilead has operations in more than 35 countries worldwide, with headquarters in Foster City, California.
You will be part of a team that is helping millions of people live healthier, more fulfilling lives. We are a close community where every individual matter and everyone has a chance to enhance their skills through ongoing development. Inclusion is one of our core values, which means we are creating and fostering a work environment where our differences are valued, and everyone feels respected and empowered to bring their authentic selves to work. By joining Gilead, you will further our mission to discover, develop and deliver innovative therapeutics for people with life-threatening diseases.
The Gilead Business Services center in Raleigh's Research Triangle region is home to some of the company's critical shared service teams in North America, including Information Technology, Global Financial Solutions, HR Operations and Procurement Services Desk. These functions provide the necessary support to ensure Gilead's business runs effectively and efficiently. The center is also a catalyst for standardization of processes, digital transformation and technology optimization.Job Description:
The Gilead IT database group supports enterprise databases across all business functionalities to deliver on Gilead's dedication to bringing life-saving therapies to people in need. We are looking for an enthusiastic, experienced and highly skilled database technologist to join the team. You will work closely with the key stakeholders to deliver on reliability, user satisfaction, compliance, and innovation. You will focus on working on a cloud base infrastructure along with managed service providers to provide guidance, strategy, and vision. If you love to take on challenges of complex and innovative environments, join our team and directly impact how we operate as a company.Essential Job Duties & Functions:
- Being a lead SQL Server DBA and SME for over 750+ SQL Server instances.
- Design, configure, and manage highly available databases, leveraging more advanced database administration concepts.
- Lead investigation to provide rapid resolution of database issues including performance degradation.
- Plan and implement proactive and reactive performance analysis, monitoring, troubleshooting, and capacity planning.
- Fully leverage database technologies and services available by our cloud provider to maximize their benefits for Gilead systems.
- Champion the needs of business teams and stakeholders throughout the whole life cycle of their applications, ensuring database best practices and technologies are incorporated to provide optimal reliability, performance, and efficiency.
- Implement, configure, and review database monitoring using both SQL Sentry as well as native database monitoring functionality.
- Manage managed service provider database team, provide technical guidance, evaluate performance metrics, and communicate with management.
- Fully understand and are capable of implement cloud native business continuity solutions.
- Fully meet compliance requirements including GxP training, change management, system maintenance, and documentation review.
- Maintain and create database SOP documents by providing review, revision, and improvement.
- Develop and enforce database standards, policies and procedures, especially for the cloud database service operation model.
- High School Degree and Twelve Years Experience OR Associate's Degree and Ten Years Experience OR Bachelor's Degree and Eight Years Experience OR Master's Degree and Six Years Experience
- 10+ years of experience in SQL Server database administration
- Expert in writing SQL queries and PowerShell scripting
- 3+ years managing databases in cloud environment
- Experience with understanding and dealing with database consistency and minimizing data loss
- Proficient with Windows operating system
- Demonstrated experience in supporting large database applications including performance analysis and tuning of high volume, transaction or data warehouse systems
- Excellent analytical skills in identifying and resolving database issues such as performance bottlenecks related to memory, I/O, and CPU
- Significant experience in SQL Server query tuning and comprehension of execution plans
- Proficient in identifying and resolving deadlocks and concurrency issues
- Previous administration of SSIS, Reporting Services, and replication
- Decide and implement appropriate SQL Server security policies (including encryption)
- Deep understanding of SQL Server HA/DR (log shipping and AlwaysOn Availability Groups)
- Hands-on experience with at least one open-source database such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc will be a plus
- Experience of supporting databases in biotech/pharmaceutical industry
- Mentored other DBAs and explained complex concepts in ways other can understand
- Hands on experience with AWS infrastructure and services
- AWS cloud certification will be a plus
- Experience with Agile Dev Ops and cloud automation tools
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com
for assistance.Following extensive monitoring, research, consideration of business implications and advice from internal and external experts, Gilead has made the decision to require all U.S., Canada, Australia, and Singapore employees and contractors to receive the COVID-19 vaccines as a condition of employment. “Full vaccination” is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request a reasonable accommodation.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the 'EEO is the Law'
poster.NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACTYOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACTPAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.