Executive Director, Corporate Engineering
United States - California - Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company’s five core values. That’s because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossible
Gilead Sciences is continuing to hire for all open roles. Our interview process may be conducted virtually and some roles will be asked to temporarily work from home. Over the coming weeks and months, we will be implementing a phased approach to bringing employees back to site to ensure the health and safety of our teams.For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.Job DescriptionExecutive Director - Corporate EngineeringCorporate Engineering and Facilities
Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops, and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide. Headquartered in Foster City, California, Gilead has operations in North, South and Central America, Europe, Africa, Asia, and Australia. Gilead makes it a priority to increase access to its medicines for people who can benefit from them, regardless of where they live or their economic status.
Reporting to the VP of Corporate Engineering and Facilities Operation (CEF), the Executive Director of Corporate Engineering is responsible for developing and executing on a world-class engineering strategy, that supports Gilead's ambitious Global Master Plan. Gilead Sciences recently completed global Master Plan that added over 2.5M square feet of infrastructure in 3 years to its worldwide campuses. The Corporate Engineering team within the Company has responsibility to develop short- and long-term strategies to advance our physical infrastructure (laboratories, pilot plants, and office buildings etc), associated with approximately 7M square feet of existing real estate, located in over 35 countries. As part of the new Master Plan, Gilead Sciences plans to design and implement a new class of best-in-class facilities to support its corporate strategy and breakthrough science, as well as continue to modernize campuses worldwide to support our culture ambitions. This position will be responsible for capital management, project management and engineering excellence associated with the delivery of the new infrastructure at our corporate sites worldwide.
In addition to the strong Project Engineering focus, this position will also be the senior most technical Engineering authority in the Corporate Operations team and serve as the leader of the Corporate Centre of Excellence for engineering standards and systems. Key to the success in this role will be technical depth, project and capital excellence, and an appreciation for social responsibility imperatives (ESG and sustainability focus). The leader of the Corp Engineering team will be trusted with a large capital budget and will be looked upon to ensure adherence to industry-leading financial, schedule and sustainability metrics. In addition to traditional engineering functions (Technical, Project, Automation Engineering), the individual will be empowered to advance the innovation agenda within the team and seek out disruptive technologies and business processes that add value to the overall enterprise. In close partnership with the Digital Operations team, the individual will develop a maturation model for Pharma 4.0 adoption within Gilead's corporate sites. The individual leads and develops a high performing team of technical engineers as well as project management to drive successful implementation of projects such as ground up constructions and asset lifecycle projects across multiple sites globally.
Internally, this position works closely with the all functions in Corporate Operations, including Workspace Strategy, Workspace design, Facilities Management, EHS, Corporate PMO, Procurement and Corporate Security as well as Business Partners from Finance, IT, and Legal. Cross functionally, the position requires development of key relationships with various stakeholders from Commercial, Pharmaceutical Development & Manufacturing, Research & Development, and G&A Functions to ensure successful business partnering. Externally, this position requires working with professional groups such as Consultants, General Contractors, Architecture Firms, Technical Experts, Landlords, and City Councils throughout the project execution. The individual must be prepared and able to travel domestically and internationally as required.
The individual is accomplished in providing strategic and tactical oversite and support for all projects, determining (based on the situation and business drivers) when is appropriate to exercise a consultative / coaching approach and when to adopt a more hands-on approach to project delivery. This position requires excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to build and maintain strong internal and external relationships in order to drive engineering excellence while effectively managing changes and ambiguity. The role is also responsible for talent development, succession planning, and for building a strong team environment conducive to continuous learning and growth.
While there is a significant operational component to this role, given the importance, scale and impact of the functions that report into it, this position is also a key strategic thought leader within the company that will be expected to influence stakeholders (internal and external) as the group continues to drive innovation in the way projects and assets are delivered to the business. As such, it is anticipated this position will sit on several senior level steering committees (for projects and initiatives) that aim to drive a new culture of excellence within the group. This position will also develop a strategy and roadmap to support our vision of being a group that has a passion for Operational Excellence and continues to look at innovative ways to ensure our campuses are efficient, more connected and operationally reliable.
The ideal candidate should have strong experience leading global and diverse teams and be well versed in technical aspects of Engineering. In addition, we are looking for someone that has a passion for employee development and building a strong culture of excellence, teamwork, accountability and inclusion within the group. This position requires a high degree of leadership, business acumen and the ability to identify, develop, implement standards and best practices, manage both short term and long-term goals, effectively engages and communicates with all key stakeholders to ensure business objectives are achieved.Principle Activities, Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Provide leadership to a team of Project/Technical/Automation engineers to advance an ambitious master plan that calls for a new scale and class of engineering facilities to be designed to support Gilead's scientific and corporate ambitions.
- Develop and execute on strategies that achieve industry-leading metrics on capital excellence, schedule agility and sustainability that support the Corporate Operations vision of Operational Excellence/Employee Experience/Social Responsibility.
- Oversee project portfolio delivery in each region and provide support to global / regional teams as needed. Effectively manage the Engineering function Opex and enterprise-level Capex budgets; identify and drive cost savings through process improvement, digital/technology adoption, and value engineering efforts. Drive cost efficiencies through automation and digital engineering solutions
- Ensure adherence to all relevant policies and procedures in accordance with Gilead's Project Safety Standards and with country laws and regulations. Promote a safety culture where project tasks are routinely conducted in a safe manner and risks are reviewed and mitigated through a proactive attitude towards safety.
- Drive the development and implementation of Engineering standards and best practices
- Embed new digital standards in every aspect of Engineering to establish a pharma 4.0 mindset in the design and delivery of new infrastructure.
- Lead and curate a Corporate wide Engineering Community of Practice forum to encourage learning through sharing of best practices and to implement standards across locations/groups
- Create and institutionalize a fit-for-purpose project controls toolbox that ensure a common delivery approach is adhered to (e.g. procedures, policies, analyses, estimates, timelines, etc)
- Partner with Procurement to oversee supplier/vendor selection, using standard methodologies.
- Interface with Space Planning and Design, Facilities Operations, and Health & Safety to ensure worldwide facilities are built to Gilead's new modernized platform, achieving and exceeding employee experience expectations.
- Ensure a customer-centric approach while also applying the latest design (workspace, etc) standards
- Develop and report performance metrics using relevant categories and KPI's.
- Continuously assess and support the development of skills and capabilities in the group
Candidate must be a highly qualified Engineering / Operations leader from the Pharmaceuticals, or Biotech industry and will have demonstrated success in leading teams to deliver large, complex, and highly technical projects and initiatives involving multiple stakeholders and/or sites. The individual must have at least 15 years of progressive experience and be accustomed to working across multiple business units and geographies. The individual must demonstrate the following competencies:Setting Strategy
- Possess mindset for both short team and long- term options thinking. Guides an innovation agenda to build and enhance capabilities and performance. Communicates a vision in bold and persuasive terms and clearly identifies relevant plans to achieve tactical objectives.Business Acumen
- Understands business implications of decisions and aligns work with strategic direction of the organization.Leading Teams -
Inspires and motivates team members to accomplish challenging goals; shares information and resources freely. Understands implicitly how to lead and work with different people and various working styles. Builds high performing teams and fosters an environment of collaboration.Planning/Organizing -
Effectively prioritizes and plans work activities; sets and communicates goals and objectives in a structured mannerProblem Solving
- Engages team members and stakeholders in an inclusive manner to identify and resolves problems swiftly and effectively.Communication -
Strong oral and written communication skills Understand and utilizes change management methods to ensure success. Outstanding ability to quickly synthesize, develop, package and communicate concise, logical, fact-based presentations, and make well-founded recommendations to senior management.Innovation -
Displays original thinking, creativity and resourcefulness in approaching business problems; possesses a growth mindset and promotes a learning cultureEducation and Experience
- BS Engineering is expected
- MBA or MS is preferred
- A minimum of 15 years of technical operations / project leadership experience preferably in Pharmaceutical, Biotech, CPG, and/or Food/Beverage Industries
- Experience in leading multi-disciplinary teams to deliver large capital projects (>$50MM) is expected
- Strong safety record is expected. Experience in leading EHS activities is preferred
- A record of developing and mentoring talent is expected
- Substantial change management experience is expected
- Global experience is preferred
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com
for assistance.Following extensive monitoring, research, consideration of business implications and advice from internal and external experts, Gilead has made the decision to require all U.S., Canada, Australia, and Singapore employees and contractors to receive the COVID-19 vaccines as a condition of employment. “Full vaccination” is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request a reasonable accommodation.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the 'EEO is the Law'
poster.NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACTYOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACTPAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.