GRAIL is a healthcare company whose mission is to detect cancer early, when it can be cured. GRAIL is focused on alleviating the global burden of cancer by developing pioneering technology to detect and identify multiple deadly cancer types early. The company is using the power of next-generation sequencing, population-scale clinical studies, and state-of-the-art computer science and data science to enhance the scientific understanding of cancer biology, and to develop its multi-cancer early detection blood test. GRAIL is headquartered in Menlo Park, CA with locations in Washington, D.C., North Carolina, and the United Kingdom. GRAIL, LLC is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Illumina, Inc. (NASDAQ:ILMN). For more information, please visit www.grail.com
GRAIL processes patient blood samples in factory-like laboratories to detect cancer and will significantly expand its commercial operations both in the US and abroad over the coming years. As a consequence, engineering teams are tasked with building software and hardware to automate and streamline many processes in the lab.
As a Software Engineer at GRAIL you’ll enjoy working on a broad array of software systems and projects. We pride ourselves on building effective, efficient, easy to use and scalable software systems to address GRAIL’s many computational and automation related challenges.
Quality and operational excellence are our joint responsibility. Each team member has ownership of the quality our products from design, through implementation, testing and production. We review code before check-in, have thorough unit and integration tests, continuous integration and reproducible production deployments that we jointly operate.You Will:
Your Background Should Include:
- Cloud (Amazon, Google) automation and service development.
- Data storage design, APIs and associated large scale data processing systems and algorithms.
- Compression techniques and algorithms; algorithm design, implementation, and optimization for processing DNA sequencing data.
- LIMS (Laboratory Information Management Systems), lab robotics and automation management systems
- EDC (Electronic Data Capture) System for conducting Clinical Studies
- Mobile and web application development, user interface design and user experience research.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Bioinformatics or similar technical field.
- At least 3 years of industry experience designing, developing, testing and maintaining software.
- Interest in human biology and genetics (many engineers on our team have no prior experience in the life science industry.)
- Extensive experience in any of these areas: distributed systems, databases, security, storage, networking, web applications, UI or automation.
- Experience with next generation sequencing data analysis (DNA, RNA, or epigenetic analysis.)
- Demonstrated experience with and track record of learning new programming languages and technologies. Demonstrated effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated leadership and self-direction.
- Demonstrated willingness to teach others and learn new techniques.
Grail's Engineering Blog
GRAIL is an Equal Employment Office and Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status. We will reasonably accommodate all individuals with disabilities so that they can participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us
to request accommodation.
Following extensive monitoring, consideration of business implications, and advice from internal and external experts, GRAIL US has made the decision to require that all U.S. employees be “Fully Vaccinated” with the COVID-19 vaccine and “Up to Date” with any recommended booster. “Fully Vaccinated” is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine (e.g. Pfizer or Moderna) or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine (e.g. Johnson & Johnson) has been administered; "Up to Date" means having timely received any COVID-19 vaccine booster(s) in accordance with CDC guidelines. Absent a qualifying exemption, all GRAIL US employees are to comply with this requirement, including providing documentation of such vaccination status, as a condition of employment. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request a reasonable accommodation for consideration by GRAIL.