OPENED: March 2022
ZymoChem is re-imagining how to make some of our favorite everyday products without polluting the planet. Motivated by the enormous carbon footprint and vast amount of trash from the fossil-based materials produced by century-old technologies of the ‘traditional’ chemicals industry, ZymoChem’s mission is to create plant-based, hero materials that enable a sustainable future. We are realizing this vision by pioneering low-cost fermentation-based production of chemicals coupled with advanced materials development technologies.
ZymoChem has raised >$18 million to-date that includes funding from premier domestic & international venture capital firms, multiple government awards – most recently two ARPA-E awards – and partnerships with world-leading chemicals companies. Tripling in team size in 2021, we are maintaining our rapid growth and filling multiple roles (www.zymochem.com/careers). We seek candidates who are motivated by science & innovation and have a passion to push the boundaries of materials performance. We are collaborative, multidisciplinary, and relentlessly committed to creating a chemicals & materials industry in tune with the 21st century. If this sounds exciting, we want to hear from you.
ZymoChem is looking for a motivated Analytical Chemistry Scientist, LC/MS to join an Analytical R&D team for the fast-paced, goal-driven development of the company’s novel carbon conserving metabolic pathway biotechnology. The primary responsibility of this position will be LC-MS/MS method development for quantitative and qualitative analysis of small molecules. Efforts will involve leading all workflows of sample analysis with LC-MS/MS including method development & validation, sample preparation from complex biological matrices & chemical downstream processing, data management, SOP writing, technical transfer, and instrument maintenance. In addition, this position has a great opportunity to work in collaboration with other R&D groups on enzyme development, strain engineering, fermentation and bioprocessing efforts while also acquiring hands-on expertise with creating & optimizing analytical workflows using various analytical equipment. This position will report to the Senior Director of Analytics.
- Develop, implement, and validate state-of-the-art LC-MS/MS-based quantitative and qualitative analysis of targeted and untargeted small molecules in biological matrices.
- Develop and optimize entire analytical workflow for sample analysis including new analytical methods with LC-MS/MS, sample preparation, automated data analysis, data interpretation & reporting.
- Primary responsibility is LC-MS/MS based analysis and you will also be involved in all aspects of additional analytical instrumentation available within the group.
- Execute sample processing and analysis with various analytical instruments such as LC-MS/MS, HPLC and/or GC-MS to support multiple internal and external projects.
- Responsible for analytical instrument maintenance and troubleshooting.
- Process and analyze large data sets.
- Routinely collaborate internally with other R&D groups to establish appropriate analytical methods and deliver high-quality data & analyses toward strain characterization and bioprocess development.
- MS or PhD in Chemistry, Biochemistry or a related discipline, focus on analytical chemistry.
- MS degree with 5+ years or PhD with 2+ years of industrial/startup experience in LC-MS/MS analysis.
- Highly proficient with the hands-on operation and maintenance of HPLC and LC-MS/MS systems & software.
- Extensive hands-on experience with LC-MS and LC-MS/MS method development and validation for small and/or large molecule.
- Hands-on experience of sample preparation from complex biological samples for analysis with LC-MS/MS and other analytical instruments.
- Proficiency with MassHunter, ChemStation, OpenLab, Labsolutions, Skyline, or other instrumentation software is preferred.
- Experience with untargeted/targeted metabolomics and/or with/without 13C-labelling for metabolic flux analysis is plus.
- Demonstrated expertise with developing and optimizing analytics workflows, metabolite sample preparation protocols, and data analysis.
- Previous experience operating and maintaining HPLC and GC-FID/MS.
- Able to communicate and collaborate effectively within multi-disciplinary R&D and Engineering groups.
- Detail-oriented, organized, and attentive with the ability to creatively problem-solve.
- Job title and salary commensurate with education and experience.
Full-time opportunities at ZymoChem come with:
- Competitive salary
- Benefits package that includes company stock options, 401(k) option, and employee medical, dental, and vision healthcare coverage
- Additional benefits including dependent healthcare coverage, FSA, HSA, commuter, and supplemental life insurance
- Flexible time off policy with 15 days paid vacation days per year and 10 paid company holidays per year
ZymoChem offers full-time employees a competitive base salary, a comprehensive benefits package, and a company culture that’s collaborative, multidisciplinary, and committed to a big vision for positively impacting the world. We seek candidates who are motivated by our mission and are equally passionate toward pushing the boundaries to build a sustainable future. This position will be based in the Gate 510 technology hub in San Leandro, CA, and ZymoChem may agree to offer relocation assistance for this role. Located in the vibrant East Bay area of San Francisco, Gate 510 is a state-of-the-facility with many in-house and nearby amenities.
If this opportunity sounds exciting and aligns with your career aspirations, we want to hear from you!
ZymoChem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, medical condition, veteran status, or any other class protected by local, state, or federal law.
Legal authorization to work in the United States is required. ZymoChem may agree to sponsor an individual for an employment visa immediate or in the future if there is a shortage of individuals with particular skills for this job. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States, and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.