OPENED: January 2022
ZymoChem is re-imagining how to make some of our favorite everyday products without polluting the planet. Motivated by the enormous carbon footprint and vast amount of trash from the fossil-based materials produced by century-old technologies of the ‘traditional’ chemicals industry, ZymoChem’s mission is to create plant-based, hero materials that enable a sustainable future. We are realizing this vision by pioneering low-cost fermentation-based production of chemicals coupled with advanced materials development technologies.
ZymoChem has raised >$18 million to-date that includes funding from premier domestic & international venture capital firms, multiple government awards – most recently two ARPA-E awards – and partnerships with world-leading chemicals companies. Tripling in team size in 2021, we are maintaining our rapid growth and filling multiple roles (www.zymochem.com/careers). We seek candidates who are motivated by science & innovation and have a passion to push the boundaries of materials performance. We are collaborative, multidisciplinary, and relentlessly committed to creating a chemicals & materials industry in tune with the 21st century. If this sounds exciting, we want to hear from you.
ZymoChem is hiring a Director of Business Development to lead strategic partnerships and customer engagement to commercialize bio-based performance materials and chemicals from the company’s proprietary microbial platform technology. This role is a career-defining leadership opportunity at the inflection point of the company and the embryonic bio-materials industry.
- Work closely with ZymoChem leadership team to develop and validate strategy and business models and plans across key market segments, products, and applications
- Identify, negotiate, and execute strategic partnerships along the value chain (customers, distributors, contract manufacturers, suppliers, etc.) to accelerate new product commercialization and business growth
- Lead, facilitate and support ongoing relationships with strategic partners to leverage complementary capabilities, ensure success and maximize value to ZymoChem
- Develop and execute Sales and Marketing strategy and plans for key market segments, products, and applications
- Design, build and lead ZymoChem Commercial team combining internal resources and channel partners (distributors, agencies, consultants, etc.)
- Define and deliver top-line commercial/revenue/growth metrics for the business.
- BS in Chemical Engineering, Biochemical Engineering, Chemistry, or a related discipline; MS, PhD, and/or MBA highly desired
- ≥10 years industry experience is required, ideally covering all aspects business development, sales, and marketing, and including at least 3 years of team leadership experience
- Successful track record of closing 1st-in-kind deals and independently managing teams and programs/projects
- Experience of successfully taking breakthrough new products from concept to commercialization
- Exceptional interpersonal, networking and communications skills ideally with a strong network of established industry contacts
- Adaptable, self-motivated, and innovative business builder that is excited to establish strategic partnerships, build teams and grow new businesses to change an industry
Full-time opportunities at ZymoChem come with:
- Competitive salary
- Benefits package that includes company stock options, 401(k) option, and employee medical, dental, and vision healthcare coverage
- Additional benefits including dependent healthcare coverage, FSA, HSA, commuter, and supplemental life insurance
- Flexible time off policy with 15 days paid vacation days per year and 10 paid company holidays per year
ZymoChem offers full-time employees a competitive base salary, a comprehensive benefits package, and a company culture that’s collaborative, multidisciplinary, and committed to a big vision for positively impacting the world. We seek candidates who are motivated by our mission and are equally passionate toward pushing the boundaries to build a sustainable future. This position will be based in the Gate 510 technology hub in San Leandro, CA, and ZymoChem may agree to offer relocation assistance for this role. Located in the vibrant East Bay area of San Francisco, Gate 510 is a state-of-the-facility with many in-house and nearby amenities.
If this opportunity sounds exciting and aligns with your career aspirations, we want to hear from you!
Legal authorization to work in the United States is required. ZymoChem may agree to sponsor an individual for an employment visa immediate or in the future if there is a shortage of individuals with particular skills for this job. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States, and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.