Mammoth is currently seeking a Senior Scientist I to help us develop our directed evolution platform for the engineering of novel Cas nucleases in our CRISPR Platform team.
As part of the CRISPR Platform team, the successful candidate will work with novel Mammoth-proprietary Cas nucleases and have access to the team’s diverse strengths and expertise in bioinformatics, biochemistry, protein engineering, and high-throughput screening. Leveraging these cross-functional expertise, the ideal candidate will bring technical experience in directed evolution methods to further build out our protein engineering capabilities and deploy them to develop our Cas nucleases for therapeutic genome editing applications.
This is an exciting career opportunity for an experienced researcher to be part of the development of cutting-edge CRISPR technologies and tools towards curing of genetic diseases.KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Drive development and deployment of directed evolution method(s) to engineer and characterize Cas nucleases for gene editing applications, including:
- Independently plan, design, and execute experiments
- Work collaboratively with a small R&D team of scientists and RAs and delegate technical activities as appropriate
- Communicate technical plans and progress in internal meetings
- Meticulous documentation of experimental activities and results
- Other duties as assigned
- Ph.D. in molecular biology, cell biology, synthetic biology, or a related field and 3+ years of biotechnology industry experience; or Masters degree and 6+ years of industry experience; or Bachelor's degree and 8+ years of industry experience
- Hands-on experience developing cell-based assays (mammalian and/or bacterial)
- Familiarity with high throughput laboratory capabilities such as FACS (Fluorescence Activated Cell Sorting), liquid-handling automation, automated colony pickers, etc.
- Experience independently designing and executing NGS (Next Generation Sequencing) assays
- 2+ years of experience developing Cas nuclease-based tools in academia or industry
- Successful hands-on experience with protein engineering projects
- Hands-on experience with experimental evolution, arrayed and/or pooled screening, and quantitative data analysis
- Hands-on experience with various methods for in vitro delivery of proteins and nucleic acids into mammalian cells
- Familiarity with CRISPR-Cas literature
- Familiarity or experience with data visualization and statistical analysis in JMP, R, Python, etc.
- Familiarity or experience with sample and data management using LIMS, Benchling, SQL, etc.
- Company-paid health/vision/dental benefits
- Unlimited vacation and generous sick time
- Company-sponsored meals and snacks
- Wellness, caregiver, and ergonomics benefits
- 401(k) with company matching
Mammoth Biosciences is harnessing the diversity of life to power the next generation of CRISPR products. Through the discovery and engineering of novel CRISPR systems, the company is enabling the full potential of its platform to read and write the code of life. Mammoth aims to develop permanent genetic cures through best-in-class in vivo and ex vivo therapies and to democratize disease detection with on-demand diagnostics. Mammoth can provide enhanced diagnostics and genome editing for life science research, healthcare, agriculture, biodefense and more. Based in the San Francisco Bay Area, Mammoth Biosciences is co-founded by CRISPR pioneer and Nobel Laureate Jennifer Doudna and Trevor Martin, Janice Chen, and Lucas Harrington. The firm is backed by top institutional investors including Redmile Group, Foresite Capital, Senator Investment Group, Sixth Street, Decheng, Mayfield, NFX, and 8VC, along with leading individual investors including Brook Byers, Tim Cook, and Jeff Huber.
Our small-size proteins, such as Cas14 and CasPhi, are poised to transform disease treatment enabling novel editing approaches and delivery options that are difficult to achieve or not even possible with previously described CRISPR-Cas systems. Our teams are responsible for discovering and engineering novel CRISPR systems, establishing CRISPR-based diagnostics, and translating our unique CRISPR technology into therapeutic treatments with the ultimate goal of cures for indications with high medical need.
It is our policy and intent to provide equal opportunity to all persons without regard to race, color, religion, political affiliation, sex/gender (including gender expression/identity, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), marital status, registered domestic partner status, sexual orientation, age, ancestry, national origin, veteran status, disability, medical condition, genetic characteristics, and/or any other basis protected by law. This policy covers all facets of employment including, but not limited to: recruitment, selection, placement, promotions, transfers, demotions, terminations, training, and compensation.Mammoth Biosciences requires that all employees be vaccinated against Covid-19 as a condition of at-will employment, with exceptions for medical or religious reasons in compliance with local, state, and federal law.