Graphite Bio is a clinical-stage, next-generation gene editing company harnessing high efficiency targeted gene integration to develop a new class of therapies to potentially cure a wide range of serious and life-threatening diseases. Graphite Bio is pioneering a precision gene editing approach that could enable a variety of applications to transform human health through its potential to achieve one of medicine’s most elusive goals: to precisely “find & replace” any gene in the genome. Graphite Bio’s platform allows it to precisely correct mutations, replace entire disease-causing genes with normal genes or insert new genes into predetermined, safe locations. The company was co-founded by academic pioneers in the fields of gene editing and gene therapy, including Maria Grazia Roncarolo, M.D., and Matthew Porteus, M.D., Ph.D.
Learn more about Graphite Bio by visiting www.graphitebio.com and following the company on LinkedIn.
As a strategic partner to the current executive team, the Senior Vice President and General Counsel will be accountable for a wide range of legal, corporate, strategic, operational, and compliance matters. This position is a critical and highly visible role, making substantial contributions to the company enterprise wide.
Reporting to CEO Josh Lehrer, you will play a critical leadership role and as a member of the executive leadership team will help to set and implement our overall strategic direction while providing key functional input and perspective. You will put patients first while building and managing the internal Legal team. You will also oversee outside counsel and provide guidance on all legal and compliance initiatives and work closely with our Board of Directors.
What You Will Do:
- Manage all of Graphite Bio’s legal and compliance matters at the corporate level while keeping patients at the forefront of all decision-making
- Act as Secretary of the Company and work with the CEO and CFO to manage board and governance matters
- Lead preparation of Board and committee meeting materials, facilitating director education and stockholder communications and meetings
- Oversee legal functions e.g., IP and Contracting, and serve as a company point of contact for legal matters, ensuring efficient use of internal and external resources to support required legal deliverables
- Oversee the selection, retention, management, and evaluation of outside counsel
- Provide legal advice related to public company reporting and compliance, including SEC rules and regulations; lead and manage the corporate disclosure committee
- Proactively identify legal and compliance risks affecting Graphite Bio and collaborate with our leadership team to identify key operating, technology, and environmental risks and work with our team to develop appropriate mitigation strategies
- Develop, implement, and train staff on corporate governance, business, and compliance policies and practices in all aspects and levels across Graphite Bio
- Work cross-functionally and provide recommendations and comprehensive legal and compliance support where required; guide the Company on regulatory and health care compliance considerations and provide legal advice and risk guidance on ongoing and planned company activities
- Advise on applicable laws, regulations, and regulatory guidelines governing scientiﬁc interactions with healthcare professionals, patients, advocacy groups and other business partners
- As a Business Partner to R&D and Business Development and counsel leadership and other areas of the company on the legal implications of transaction initiatives and strategies, with a focus on inbound and outbound licensing and collaboration agreements, strategic alliances, joint ventures, development agreements, and mergers and acquisitions
- Oversee corporate records and document retention and preservation
- Manage and lead responses to all legal requests and investigations, and defend the company against third party claims and litigation as they arise
- Represent Graphite Bio with external constituencies, Governments, external law firms and industry organizations
- Work to develop and implement training for internal clients, partners and stakeholders on key policies, procedures, practices, and requirements for healthcare and related legal compliance and educate internal clients and partners about current legal and regulatory developments
What You Will Bring:
- A JD. degree with strong academic credentials and an active California State Bar membership
- 12+ years of hands-on legal experience supporting corporate governance functions, public company reporting, corporate contracting activities and healthcare compliance activities, and corporate secretarial duties
- 10 + years leading law ﬁrm and/or in-house biotechnology/pharmaceutical industry experience (gene therapy and/or cell therapy a plus)
- Expertise functioning at the enterprise level and collaborating with an entire executive team
- A patient focus with the ability to keep patients at the forefront of all decision-making
- The ability and experience addressing complex legal, business, compliance and ethical issues and the ability to develop and articulate strategies
- Strong knowledge of and experience with securities law and complex commercial transactions
- Understanding of, and experience with, global regulatory framework applicable to interactions with healthcare professionals, patient privacy, and related issues
- Experience in consummating strategic alliances and M&A transactions
- Strong understanding of biotech or pharmaceutical operations and the ability to design and implement policies and programs that work for the business
- Strong negotiating skills, ability to prioritize, handle multiple tasks and work independently under tight deadlines
- Proven track record of delivering consistently on complex projects under challenging circumstances with a sense of urgency, but with the ability to also keep broader strategic objectives in focus
- Ability to work as a team member, and be very ﬂexible to adapt to the ever-changing work priorities and requirements of a dynamic, fast-growing company
- Experience inspiring, managing and growing a team
- An ability to thrive and flourish in a fast-paced, dynamic & evolving, entrepreneurial environment; ability to parallel process multiple priorities, comfortable “changing gears”, and remaining flexible, when warranted, as well as making and executing definitive decisions, as appropriate
- Collaborative, effective leadership skills, with the ability to build and maintain strong interpersonal relationships, gaining trust and confidence from all levels within and external to the organization
- Self-starter, who enjoys rolling up their sleeves and digging into the details; rigorous attention to details and data, while not losing sight of the bigger picture
- Well-developed presentation and communication skills; ability to adapt to different target audiences, effective at board level and board committees, as well as with company advisers, financial institutions, and colleagues
- Scientific curiosity and the ability to interact and collaborate with a range of functional skills including scientists, clinicians, and business, finance, and people functions
What Graphite Will Bring:
At Graphite Bio, we are intentionally building a community that is inspired, diverse, and curious. For this role, and all roles, we seek someone who is:
- Determined. You share our mission to bring curative gene editing to patients. And you know the need is urgent.
- People-focused. You prioritize relationships. You value differences and are an excellent listener.
- Adaptable. You seek solutions, even when things change. You prefer to find your way to “yes!”
Graphite Bio is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that our strength is in our differences. Our goal to build a diverse and inclusive team began on day one, and it will never end.
All company employees, regardless of work location, must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Fully vaccinated means a person has received all recommended doses in their primary series COVID-19 vaccine. Requests for an accommodation/exemption for medical or religious reasons, as well as under applicable state law, will be considered on a case-by-case basis consistent with applicable law.
To all recruitment agencies
: Graphite Bio does not accept agency resumes or applications. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, or Graphite Bio employees. Graphite Bio is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes or applications.