Those who join Emergent BioSolutions feel a sense of ownership about their future. You will excel in an environment characterized by respect, innovation and growth opportunities. Here, you will join passionate professionals who advance their scientific, technical and professional skills to develop products designed-to protect life.
I. JOB SUMMARY
The VP Portfolio Management leads the team of Product Development Team Leaders (PDTLs) lead cross-functional product development teams for our clinical stage product development programs. This role is responsible for the leadership and evaluation of a portfolio of assets, indications and development programs. This role reports to the SVP, Corporate Strategy, Governance & Portfolio, and will also shape the product development portfolio strategy in partnership with Corporate Strategy, R&D, Clinical Development and Commercial leaders. This is a hands-on program leadership role as it also will directly lead select product development teams.
II. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Lead and provide strategic direction to the PDTL team responsible for all late-stage product development programs
• Serve as single point of accountability for progressing multiple development programs through the product development life cycle and communicating to internal senior leadership and external partners, as necessary.
• Collaborate across functional leadership teams to plan, prioritize, and successfully execute product development programs across the portfolio from early phase programs through launch and commercialization
• Identify, create, and implement portfolio management best practices, including dashboards, templates, and processes that harmonize methodologies and foster efficiency, alignment, and decision-making across portfolios
• Collaborate with Corporate Strategy and develop a portfolio assessment and governance framework to review, measure, and prioritize products and inform business and resource planning
• Partner with FP&A and determine portfolio valuation metrics and portfolio mix to optimize enterprise portfolio value
• Serve as a PDTL for select product development teams (as needed); create and drive product(s) strategy and execution across functions, address opportunities and issues, and maximize the product’s value
• Operate as a change agent and product strategy and portfolio management champion across the organization as programs and capabilities evolve and expand with the growing business
The above statements are intended to describe the nature of work performed by those in this job and are not an exhaustive list of all duties. Nothing in this job description restricts managements right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time which reflects management’s assignment of essential functions.
II. MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
• Bachelor’s degree or higher in a Life Sciences field or equivalent scientific and/or medical expertise through experience
• 8+ years of related late-stage product development team leadership experience, including and 15+ years of overall experience in biotech, pharmaceutical, or medical device industries
• Successful progressive roles in at least two key functions (in a biopharmaceutical / medical device company at least one of which relates to clinical product development and at least one of which relates to the commercialization of drugs or biologics
• Advanced degree preferred
• Experience in portfolio valuation for clinical stage assets
• Experience managing drug development projects from early development through BLA or NDA preparation and approval is preferred.
• Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
• Demonstrated experience in problem solving, decision making, building effective cross-functional teams, mentorship and technical or commercial leadership
• Proactive and strategic thinker, with strong facilitation, problem-solving and issue resolution skills
• Proven ability to effectively work in a global, cross-functional matrix organization
• Ability to work effectively in diverse cultures, showing aptitude in modifying style
• Demonstrated ability to influence without authority
• Alliance management experience preferred
There are physical/mental demands and work environment characteristics that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. This information is available upon request from the candidate.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform all essential functions.
Emergent BioSolutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and values the diversity of our workforce. Emergent does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, genetic information or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Emergent BioSolutions does not accept non-solicited resumes or candidate submittals from search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list. Unsolicited resumes or candidate information submitted to Emergent BioSolutions by search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list shall become the property of Emergent BioSolutions and if the candidate is subsequently hired by Emergent BioSolutions, Emergent BioSolutions shall not owe any fee to the submitting agency.