Those who join Emergent BioSolutions feel a sense of ownership about their future. You will excel in an environment characterized by respect, innovation and growth opportunities. Here, you will join passionate professionals who advance their scientific, technical and professional skills to develop products designed-to protect life.
• Responsible for developing and maintaining the commercial and business strategy of Emergent’s GMP drug product services within the CDMO business unit.
• Determines the competitive positioning and value proposition, service offerings, and pricing strategy of the drug substance services business.
• Collaborates closely with the other Commercial Development lead for Drug Product (DP) to establish an integrated molecule-to-market CDMO service offering
• Plays a critical role in supporting the Sales & BD team in the identification, evaluation, and acquisition of drug product business opportunities.
• Provides guidance and direction during the evaluation and proposal process, customer due diligence visits, and contract negotiations to ensure that new business opportunities are in line with Emergent’s overall CDMO strategy and growth targets.
• Responsible for managing and prioritizing focus on the pipeline/portfolio of DP opportunities/projects, which includes tracking and prioritizing new inquiries and leading a cross-functional team supporting business development efforts.
• Evaluates internal and external investments (including potential M&A targets) in additional drug product capacity/capabilities and develops a thorough business case in support of investment opportunities.
• Be the market expert in Drug Product to the market and internal organization.
• Accountable for the relevant Drug Product business line performance (P&L) against budget in collaboration with finance and operations.
• Portfolio optimization strategies, evaluation of pricing structure, and engagement with operational leaders at drug product sites.
• Interface of the site operations, business development and customer acting as a escalation pathway for business discussions in regards to contract management, delivery and changes in priorities.
• Guide the business acquisition process for new drug product projects.
• Lead development of the commercial and business strategy for the DP service offering
• Drive commercial input for capital projects (internal and external) and ensure decisions are aligned to the market, business strategy, and portfolio
• Closely align with operational leadership and functional heads at DP manufacturing sites across the Emergent CDMO network
• Set guidance for pricing and contract negotiations related to DP services
• Works closely with the proposal generation team to draft, review, and finalize proposals for DP service work
• Actively represents Emergent at trade shows and conferences and through membership in industry organizations
• Represent the CDMO business unit at S&OP, demand planning, budgetary, and site leadership meetings
• Engagement and participation on the CDMO Leadership Team
• Provides routine updates to CDMO leadership and operational leaders at Emergent’s DP manufacturing faciliise regarding the progress of new business development activities, the overall DS portfolio, and forward-looking projections on revenue/profitability for DS services
• Engages with the CDMO marketing team to contribute to the marketing strategy of the DP services portfolio
• Source, evaluate, organize, and present relevant market intelligence on clients, competitors, and industry trends related to Emergent’s drug substance offering.
• Acts as day to day commercial and business escalation for the drug substance business line within the CDMO business unit, serving an active role in governance of customer relationships and within manufacturing sites on the respective site leadership teams
• Contract negotiation skills
• Strong cross functional team player, interfacing with commercial and operational colleagues to drive new business acquisition and growth of existing client portoflios
• Experience in client-facing interactions and managing/shaping client expectations
• Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills required.
• Excellent time management, organization skills and ability to multi-task required.
• Excellent problem solving and critical thinking skills required.
Requirements of Jobholder
• Minimum Bachelor's degree (B.S.) in a related scientific/technical field (e.g. Chemistry, Biology, Life Sciences) required. Advanced scientific and/or business degree strongly preferred (e.g. M.S., Ph.D., M.B.A.)
• At least 7+ years of experience in the biologics CDMO industry with specific focus on selling/supporting/developing drug substance manufacturing services for microbial and/or mammalian and/or viral platforms/technologies. Experience with advanced therapies (mRNA, gene therapy) is a plus.
• Commercial experience in sales/business development, project management, process development, or similar is preferred.
• Demonstrated ability to develop and implement strategic business plans and commercialization strategies.
• Knowledge of cGMPs and drug substance processes through coursework and/or prior work experience.
• Prior pharmaceutical or CDMO experience in technical functions of development or manufacturing.
• Experience with assessment and implementation of new service offerings in a CDMO environment.
• Ability to work independently in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
• Domestic and international travel to Emergent manufacturing facilities and industry trade shows and events
Successful applicants for this position must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Individuals with qualifying medical issues or sincerely held religious beliefs or practices that may prevent them from getting the vaccine may request an exemption from the vaccine requirement.
There are physical/mental demands and work environment characteristics that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. This information is available upon request from the candidate.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform all essential functions.
Emergent BioSolutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and values the diversity of our workforce. Emergent does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, genetic information or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Emergent BioSolutions does not accept non-solicited resumes or candidate submittals from search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list. Unsolicited resumes or candidate information submitted to Emergent BioSolutions by search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list shall become the property of Emergent BioSolutions and if the candidate is subsequently hired by Emergent BioSolutions, Emergent BioSolutions shall not owe any fee to the submitting agency.