Aspen Neuroscience is seeking an Executive Director of Bioinformatics with a passion for shaping and influencing both research and clinical products across the entire portfolio for Aspen's bioinformatics solutions. The ideal candidate has excellent team leadership and communication skills and a drive for delivering innovative bioinformatics-based analysis solutions across a broad range of use cases including (1) quality control testing throughout GMP manufacturing of cellular therapy product; (2) product release; and (3) genetic disease and cancer screening to support clinical studies. This new role requires a proven track record in establishing a strategic roadmap for innovations across bioinformatic methods and algorithms, delivering continuous improvements in core analysis capabilities, establishing information delivering system, and working with internal stakeholders and KOLs.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead the bioinformatics development organization, including the delivery of novel methods, algorithms, and analysis pipelines.
- Bioinformatic method and algorithm development to further support product characterization and therapeutic potency evaluation.
- Drive improvements in speed, accuracy, and precision, as well as the expansion of applications, features, and functions which enable access to broader market segments.
- Support the design, delivery, and validation of both research and clinical bioinformatic pipelines across a wide range of applications including basic research, biopsy evaluation and biomarker discovery.
- Lead development of statistical and computational methods to analyze large-scale, multi-omic data.
- Leverage resources to support clinical assay development through analytical design validation and external trial support.
- Provide strategic thinking and leadership related to a wide range of applications and systems.
- Help deliver, refine, and communicate the vision of the next generation of informatics to the rest of the organization.
- Works closely with the business and other technology teams to define the roadmap and drive execution.
- Create an environment of ingenuity and creativity, and act as a role model for others in challenging the status quo to encourage innovation.
- Drive change across processes, practices, and technology within the organization by building a high caliber team that can deliver effectively.
- Minimize schedule and technical risk by foreseeing and addressing obstacles proactively and aggressively; leverage past experience and communication skills to collaborate effectively and cross-functionally.
- Investigate new methodologies, technologies, and experimentation which might progress Aspen's strategic objectives.
- Build relationships with external customers, partners, and key opinion leaders and represent Aspen externally as a thought leader in bioinformatics.
Education and Experience:
- PhD in computer science, bioinformatics, statistics, or related mathematics or scientific field
- A minimum of 15 years of algorithm and informatics product development experience in a complex systems environment
- Extensive experience in bioinformatics analysis across genome, exome, and genotyping data.
- Direct experience working on regulated or clinically validated products strongly preferred.
- 12+ years of leadership experience including globally distributed teams and director-level direct reports.
- A senior level leader who has led centralized software and informatics product development organizations in a high growth environment.
- Must be capable of balancing regulatory requirements with agile software delivery, with the ability drive process improvements throughout the organization.
- Possesses a collaborative, yet relentless approach to process improvement and team management to achieve best in class results, especially around cost, cycle time / throughput and customer service.
- Proven track record of partnering with R&D, Manufacturing and Quality, and Clinical Teams to optimize new product launches and product lifecycle management within a fast-paced, high growth company with a robust pipeline of new products and short product lifecycles.
- Positive and dynamic management style, combined with superior communication skills and high credibility; able to gain followership and attain buy-in from internal stakeholders; capable of successfully navigating a complex organizational matrix.
- A fast learner and decisive leader with a quick mind, sound judgment, and excellent problem solving / critical thinking skills
EEO and Employment Eligibility
Aspen Neuroscience is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and job applicants and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Total Rewards and Culture
Aspen Neuroscience, Inc., located in scenic Torrey Pines, is noted for its collaborative, and learning focused culture where each person is valued for contributing their strengths and energy to building a world-class line of products for patients in need. The company offers a competitive total compensation package, time-off in addition to Company observed holidays, Medical/Dental insurance benefits, onsite gym, and other wellness perks.