Sr Research Scientist - Bioinformatics Cancer Biology Research Data Science
United States - California - Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company’s five core values. That’s because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossible
Gilead Sciences is continuing to hire for all open roles. Our interview process may be conducted virtually and some roles will be asked to temporarily work from home. Over the coming weeks and months, we will be implementing a phased approach to bringing employees back to site to ensure the health and safety of our teams.For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.Job Description
We are seeking a highly talented and motivated Bioinformatics Scientist to take a lead role in statistical analysis of multi-omics and next generation sequencing data to support research projects from target evaluation to biomarker discovery with a focus in immune oncology and cancer biology. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work in a fast-paced and highly collaborative environment and impact high-level decision making on internal pipeline and external collaboration. The scientist will be responsible for developing and employing rigorous statistical modeling and bioinformatics methods, interpreting and integrating large scale datasets to enable research objectives. The successful candidate will have the ability to formulate scientific questions into coherent analytical efforts and communicate analysis results and scientific findings to project teams and across different research functions.Essential Functions:
Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
- Develop and implement quality assessment, statistical analysis and data visualization for multi-omics datasets (e.g., RNA-Seq, single cell sequencing, WES, WGS, Chip-Seq, NanoString, multiplex qPCR, TCR-Seq, BCR-Seq).
- Develop and apply statistical and computational tools for analysis of large omics and high dimensional data from publicly available, commercial, and real-world datasets to enable novel target identification, target assessment, drug combinations, and patient stratification, etc.
- Design and apply bioinformatics algorithms, unsupervised and supervised methods, univariate and multivariate regression analyses to enable the discovery and evaluation of preclinical predictive and prognostic biomarkers for oncology projects.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to analyze and interpret complex large datasets and efficiently communicate findings to non-computational scientists and senior leaders.
- Extensive expertise in analyzing, interpreting, and integrating large-scale genomics, transcriptomics, epigenetics, GWAS, proteomics, and high throughput screening data sets.
- Hands on experience in analyzing public omics data sets (e.g., TCGA, GTEx, CCLE, Blueprint, GEO, SRA) is required.
- Expertise in developing algorithms and applications for predictive modeling, pattern recognition, data mining and visualization of large scale multi-dimensional omics datasets.
- Strong statistics knowledge, such as probability theory, univariate and multi-variate analysis, unsupervised and supervised analysis, regression analysis, survival analysis, and feature selection.
- In-depth knowledge of bioinformatics algorithms and their applications in high-throughput experimental techniques, such as Illumina NGS, 10x Genomics, Visium spatial transcriptomics.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with research scientists and cross-functional teams, and to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced working environment.
- Demonstrated the ability to synthesize scientific questions into a coherent research effort and communicate scientific findings across different functional teams.
- A proactive and self-motivated individual with a strong work ethic and scientific rigor, ability to work in a dynamic environment and manage multiple objectives in parallel and adapt to changing priorities.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- A PhD in bioinformatics, computational biology, biostatistics, cancer genomics, or a related field with a minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience. Industry experience is preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills that foster collaboration and teamwork.
- Excellent problem-solving skills in complex situations.
- Basic understanding of cancer biology, molecular and cell biology.
- Proficiency in R, Python, Perl, JAVA, or C programming languages.
- Proficiency in working in a Linux environment, experience with shell scripting and standard command line tools.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org
for assistance.Following extensive monitoring, research, consideration of business implications and advice from internal and external experts, Gilead has made the decision to require all U.S., Canada, Australia, and Singapore employees and contractors to receive the COVID-19 vaccines as a condition of employment. “Full vaccination” is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request a reasonable accommodation.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the 'EEO is the Law'
poster.NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACTYOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACTPAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.