The Sr. Accountant I supports the development, implementation and/or maintenance of one or a combination of general accounting systems; prepares journal entries, maintains and reconciles ledger accounts; supports the recording of assets, liabilities and other financial transactions; balances books periodically; maintains receipts and disbursement reports. This individual may assist or support the preparation of federal, state and local reports and tax returns; may interpret reports and records for management; supports accounting management in the preparation of management reporting, financial analysis and financial statements. This position contributes to and supports the company's research and development efforts to create high value therapeutics to address unmet medical needs.
- Supports the monthly consolidation and closing of the financial reporting records by completing specific activities such as fixed asset accounting, and balance sheet analysis.
- Helps to ensure the accuracy of financial and management reporting by completing trend analyses and reconciliation of balance sheet balances with transaction ledgers.
- Maintains the organization of accounts, departments and projects within the accounting systems to support all requested reporting.
- May assess areas in which additional accruals may be necessary to cover the Company's business activities.
- Maintains reports to support financial reporting, management requests and needs for analysis.
- Supports and coordinates the preparation and compilation of property tax returns.
- Supports computer system enhancements and implementations that may impact financial and management reporting.
- Supports the monitoring of internal controls to ensure the accuracy of financial reporting.
- Performs other projects related to analysis and activities when requested by management.
- Exercises good judgment in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results. Networks with key contacts outside own area of expertise.
- Other duties as assigned.
A Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Business Administration is required. A minimum of 5 years accounting experience is required. A minimum of 4 years corporate accounting experience is required.
- Strong communication skills both oral and written are required.
- Experience interfacing with all levels of management is a must.
- Must be able to demonstrate a strong attention to detail with an ability to meet deadlines and work well under pressure.
- Strong knowledge of and proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word is required.
- Requires knowledge of GAAP, internal controls and financial computer systems.