Associate Scientist II – DMPK-BA: Drug Metabolism, Pharmacokinetics, and Bioanalysis
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com.
The Drug Metabolism, Pharmacokinetics & Bioanalysis Department at AbbVie has an opening for an Associate Scientist II position in North Chicago, IL. The successful candidate will be responsible for non-regulated quantitative LC-MS/MS bioanalysis of small molecules from in vivo and in vitro samples, including extraction, data analysis and interpretation.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Use liquid handling robotics.
- Perform quantitative LC-MS/MS (Liquid Chromatography Mass Spectrometry) analysis of small molecule from various bio-matrices in vivo and in vitro to support PK/PD, ADME, efficacy and exploratory toxicology studies.
- Operate, perform routine maintenance, and support the troubleshooting of AB Sciex LC-MS/MS systems.
- Maintain excellent documentation of all work including electronic lab notebooks, test methods, and protocols.
- Work closely with multiple teams across Discovery and DMPK-BA to support bioanalysis.
- B.S. or M.S. in analytical chemistry or related field with 3+(B.S.) or 0+(M.S.) years of relevant academic/pharmaceutical industry experience.
- Knowledge of protein precipitation, liquid/liquid extraction, and solid phase extraction.
- Experience with quantitative bioanalysis of small molecules.
- Hands-on experience using Triple Quad MS is required.
- Experience operating and troubleshooting current LC-MS/MS platforms (Agilent HPLCs, Leap/CTC PAL and ADDA autosamplers, Sciex API-5500/6500 triple quad Mass Spectrometers) and software (e.g. Discovery Quant, Analyst, Electronic notebook) is highly preferred.
- Knowledge of chromatographic and analytical methodologies.
- Ideal candidate is detail oriented and committed to generating high-quality results within tight deadlines and across different projects.
- Proven ability to work independently or under minimal supervision in a high-throughput environment to design and conduct experiments, interpret, document, and communicate results, as well as in a team environment to collaborate successfully across other groups within R&D.
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills.
Key Leadership Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the "essence" and can change course quickly where indicated.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.
Level and compensation will be commensurate with experience.
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status or any other legally protected characteristic.