The Manager, Global Initiatives & Communications will be a collaborative partner in strategic planning and execution of internal communication efforts across Global Medical Affairs (GMA), which includes more than 2,000 employees. With a strong understanding of multi-channel communications and a constantly-curious attitude, this role will create compelling communications and develop insights for optimizing and improving communication quality (both content and process). The Manager will coordinate and partner with employees of all levels, with the goal of enhancing GMA employee awareness of and engagement with business priorities, signature projects and culture initiatives.
This position is part of a team based in AbbVie's global headquarters in Lake County, IL. Chicago-area candidates preferred.
- Manages and optimizes content planning and distribution processes across key internal channels and events (e.g., intranet sites, newsletters, all-staff meetings, organizational announcements) including the development and maintenance of milestone and editorial calendars.
- Provides critical support to strategy development and execution of multi-channel communications tactics (e.g., executive presentations, videos, organizational announcements) that align with wider GMA strategies; leads strategy and execution of select projects with opportunity for increased responsibility.
- Collaborates with subject matter experts to provide communications counsel and help clarify complex technical concepts into clear, actionable messages.
- Liaises with teams and employees of all levels to source content, prepare and send all-employee GMA newsletter and other specific all-employee communications.
- Ensures all communications meet the highest quality standards, comply with AbbVie branding and style guides and comply with any risk requirements.
- Leads collection and analysis of metrics to assess effectiveness of communications on an ongoing basis, providing insights to team members to inform decision-making around current and future initiatives.
- Coordinates and partners with colleagues across the company on departmental and cross-divisional activities to drive awareness and engagement with culture initiatives, such as employee awards, employee giving campaign, and Equity, Equality, Diversity & Inclusion (EED&I) initiatives.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent, emphasis in public relations, integrated marketing, communications or journalism preferred
- 7-10+ years of relevant experience with proven track record of successful multi-channel communications, content planning and measurement, and providing sound counsel and guidance to partners; experience in pharma, biotech and/or healthcare preferred
- Proven experience managing multiple programs and initiatives with ability to prioritize and problem solve in a fast-paced matrix environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills along with knowledge of emerging trends and technologies
- Strong interpersonal skills with keen awareness to cultural nuances; global/international experience a plus
- Confidence in providing communications subject matter expertise to senior leaders
- Demonstrates initiative, creativity and analytical capabilities
- Excellent attention to detail, with ability to grasp and focus on the big picture
Key Stakeholders: GMA senior leaders and functional/therapeutic area leads, cross-functional AbbVie communications leads