Executive Director, Research Oncology- Seattle, WA
United States - Washington - Seattle
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company’s five core values. That’s because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossible
Gilead Sciences is continuing to hire for all open roles. Our interview process may be conducted virtually and some roles will be asked to temporarily work from home. Over the coming weeks and months, we will be implementing a phased approach to bringing employees back to site to ensure the health and safety of our teams.For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.Job DescriptionExecutive Director, Research Oncology (Seattle Site)Summary
The Research Oncology department at Gilead Sciences is seeking an experienced and highly motivated Executive Director to lead and grow a research group focused on the discovery and development of novel therapies for the treatment of cancer. The successful candidate will help to implement and refine Gilead's oncology research strategy, with a focus on tumor-intrinsic oncogenic signaling pathways and mechanisms of immune evasion. Our highly collaborative and interdisciplinary research team utilizes state-of-the-art technologies and innovative methodologies to advance novel oncology and immuno-oncology therapies into the clinic. The position has ample opportunities for career growth through acquisition of new skills, experiences, and professional relationships in a fast-paced and resource-rich environment.Key Responsibilities
Knowledge, Experience and Skills
- Provide vision and leadership for the discovery and pre-clinical development of novel oncology therapeutics.
- Devise and execute innovative strategy for targeting tumor-intrinsic pathways to promote cancer cell death and immune stimulation.
- Lead the assessment of novel targets and therapeutic agents across both large and small molecule modalities.
- Supervise and mentor a group of creative and motivated research scientists.
- Build and maintain close relationships with Gilead R&D departments.
- Lead inter-departmental meetings and discussions, communicate vision, strategy and research results to Gilead executives.
- Identify and support relevant external collaborations and relationships.
- Proactively seek and evaluate external business development opportunities for innovative oncology therapeutics.
- Represent Gilead externally at scientific meetings, advisory boards, and through high impact presentations, publications, and other scientific communications.
- PhD or equivalent graduate degree in a relevant life science discipline (e.g. cancer biology, cellular or molecular biology, immunology) with minimum of 10 years post-doctoral research experience.
- Extensive knowledge of oncogenic signalling pathways, cancer cell-immune cell crosstalk, and small molecule drug development.
- Abilities to conduct productive and innovative research based on deep
understanding of drug discovery and development principles.
- Strong organizational skills combined with the ability to effectively lead large multi-disciplinary teams to advance complex drug discovery projects.
- Strong commitment to working cross-functionally in a complex and fast pace research organization.
- Proven high-impact scientific achievements in industry or academic settings.
- Team building and management skills including effective mentorship, career development, ambitious goal setting, and performance management.
- Advanced written and oral communication skills with ability to eloquently present complex strategies and results.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com
for assistance.Following extensive monitoring, research, consideration of business implications and advice from internal and external experts, Gilead has made the decision to require all U.S. employees and contractors to receive the COVID-19 vaccines as a condition of employment. “Full vaccination” is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request a reasonable accommodation.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the ‘EEO is the Law'
poster.NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACTYOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACTPAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.