This position will be responsible for overseeing and directing the activities of a team of scientists in the implementation and execution of antibody-based drug discovery projects in immunology. The individual will lead cross-functional drug discovery projects, manage and direct cell biology associates and scientist-level personnel across programs, collaborating with others in research and development in alignment with company objectives. The individual will be involved in regular program reviews, new target proposal reviews, and help maintain high standards of scientific excellence. Major responsibilities will include implementing antibody discovery, cell-based strategies for antibody screening, and antibody optimization.
- Directs the activities of an immunology team of scientists in the discovery and optimization of therapeutic antibodies.
- Develops and successfully coordinates strategies to ensure effective achievement of project and company goals.
- Provides immunology support to multidisciplinary project teams and participates in strategies for generating clinical candidates.
- Initiates projects and/or leads therapeutic antibody discovery project teams, including designing key strategies and interpreting results to further project objectives, working effectively across disciplines to accomplish project goals.
- Ensures scientific excellence within cell biology and across research programs.
- Regularly reviews and interprets research data, monitors and evaluates scientific progress.
- Maintains broad scientific and technical knowledge within disciplines relevant to AnaptysBio’s drug discovery projects and in-depth knowledge relevant to specific drug discovery projects.
- Presents research findings and conclusions clearly and effectively to senior management, scientific advisory panels, and at external meetings, as appropriate.
- Hire, lead, and develop Team of 10 - 15.
Education & Experience:
- PhD plus 12 years post-doctoral experience in Immunology, Cell Biology, Biomedical Sciences, or a related field with 8 years productive experience in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry in biologics drug discovery.
- Demonstrated success in project leadership, independent and innovative scientific thinking and experimental design/approaches.
- At least five years’ experience managing and leading a group of biologists in a matrixed project team environment.
- Strong scientific publication and external presentation record in accord with years of experience.
- Experience working on a project that has transitioned into clinical development successfully.
- Strong working knowledge of cellular and molecular immunology, including autoimmune and inflammatory diseases, with an applied understanding of antibodies, antibody generation and characterization, and biologics drug discovery research.
- Demonstrated success in drug discovery project leadership, independent and innovative scientific thinking and experimental design/approaches.
- Knowledgeable in flow cytometry approaches.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus in order to read.
The work environment characteristics are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job, typically in an open office environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
May be required to travel by plane or car.
This position requires working with biological and/or chemical hazards
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, marital status, pregnancy, genetic information, or other legally protected status.