Initiates, directs and executes scientific research and/or development activities to accomplish overall project goals. Investigates the feasibility of a wide variety of scientific principles and concepts for potential inventions, products and problems as appropriate to assigned responsibilities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Designs major experiments to complete a segment of the overall total research and/or development plan.
- Constructs and manages timelines for completion of milestones in area of responsibility.
- Evaluates and analyzes data obtained from laboratory tests, interprets results and identifies problems; assures data for statistical analysis are accurate.
- Analyzes associated lines of investigation and devises and recommends methods to resolve project problems.
- Maintains project documentation in accordance with internal company and external regulatory requirements.
- Interprets data obtained from field evaluations, designs field evaluation protocols and, with approval, contacts outside evaluators.
- Conducts literature reviews, summarizes data and presents results for application to current research and/or development projects or future projects.
- Oversees technical communication between divisions.
- Communicates within the R&D department, with Manufacturing, Operations, Marketing, vendors, and clinical evaluators.
- Writes final research or development documentation of project results for transfer or project to next stage of research and/or development.
- Coordinates the transfer of production technology and trains personnel in other departments on the technology of the product or project.
- Interacts with other departments to solve product or project problems and field complaints, and suggests improvements.
- Represents company in project and general technology presentations to internal and external groups.
- Performs all laboratory assignments in accordance with established safety procedures and applicable regulatory requirements and ensure that direct reports, if applicable, meet the same requirements.
- Assists with related special projects, as required.
Education and/or Experience
- PhD in chemistry, with 4 years applicable research, industrial or clinical laboratory experience.Alternatively, Master's degree in same field with 5-7 years applicable research, industrial or clinical laboratory experience and demonstrated working knowledge of scientific principles or Bachelor's degree in same field with 11+ years applicable experience and knowledge.
- Experience in multi-step organic synthesis.
- Experience in automated oligonucleotide synthesis, optimization and quality control.
- Strong knowledge of equipment for oligonucleotide synthesis, analysis and purification including reverse and ion-exchange HPLC, capillary gel-electrophoresis, NMR and mass-spectrometry.
- Demonstrated technical proficiency, strong integrative analytical skills and scientific creativity.