We are currently seeking a Associate Scientist II, Process Development - Downstream to join the Forge Biologics team. This is an exciting opportunity to provide active guidance and execution of the laboratory experiments and protocols for downstream process development efforts. The candidate will execute process development protocols/studies to optimize procedures for unique viral vector platform process and to assist in the transfer of client programs. The ideal candidate will be skilled in technical problem-solving and laboratory techniques to support our growth in the Gene Therapy sector. This position is also responsible for clear and timely documentation of experimental results and communicating data to supervisor.
This position reports to the Director of Downstream Process Development and is responsible for planning and conducting experimental approaches for optimized downstream production of recombinant adeno-associated virus (rAAV) vectors. The Senior Associate Scientist will plan, assist with, and perform scalable downstream purification technologies for rAAV using depth filtration, FPLC systems, tangential flow filtration, and centrifugation. Work activities will also include compiling experimental data, writing protocols and study reports, and presenting findings to internal and external parties with minimal supervision. It is expected that you will work as a member of the development team while accomplishing the timely completion of assignments and reporting of unexpected technical issues.
- Support design, execute, and analyze experiments optimizing production and purification of AAV
- Execute downstream purification technologies related to rAAV purification using chromatography (affinity, ion-exchange, size exclusion, etc.) and filtration processes including microfiltration, depth filtration, tangential flow filtration, and sterile filtration
- Compile experimental data with supervision and provide results for publications or reports
- Support internal process transfer activities from Process Development to GMP
- Delivering results in a high paced environment
- Maintain equipment and workspace in an orderly and clean manner
- Serve as a Subject Matter Expert for chromatography, TFF and other downstream methods
- Additional responsibilities not listed may be assigned as needed by leadership
- Master’s degree in biology, molecular biology, virology, biochemistry or related discipline, or Bachelor’s degree with 4 years’ relevant experience
- Practical experience with FPLC is required, ideally with lab, pilot, and large-scale systems
- Experience with other aspects of downstream purification (e.g. – clarification/filtration, TFF, etc.) is required
- Experience with suspension cell culture at all scales: flasks, bench-top bioreactors, and large-scale single-use bioreactors is preferred
- Experience with purification of vaccines or viral vectors is highly preferred
- Experience with production of biologics and performing bioassays is preferred
- Must be self-motivating, organized and proactive
- Strong technical aptitude including demonstrated experience in applying scientific reasoning to solve complex problems
- Ability to work hours necessary to support production and/or product transfer activities.
- Ability to work in loud noise environments and in Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and cleanroom gowning attire as needed
- This position reports to the Associate Director of Process Development, Downstream
- Travel on an intermittent basis is required (approximately 2-5%) to support job responsibilities and commitments.