We are currently seeking a Scientist II / Senior Scientist to join the Forge Biologics team. This is an exciting opportunity to lead efforts and characterize bioprocess methods to support viral vector manufacturing. The candidate will lead upstream biomanufacturing development and support upstream development in the manufacturing of viral vector for clients at various scales ranging from 500mL to 500L. The ideal candidate will be highly skilled in technical problem-solving and bioprocessing techniques to support our growth in the Gene Therapy sector.
This position reports to the Associate Director of Process Development and is responsible leading upstream process development activities for production of recombinant adeno-associated virus (rAAV) vectors. You will oversee and perform scalable maintenance, transfection, and infection of mammalian and insect cell lines in shake flasks and single-use bioreactors. Work activities will also include compiling experimental data, writing protocols and study reports, and presenting findings to internal and external parties with minimal supervision. It is expected that you will lead and participate as part of the process development team while accomplishing the timely completion of assignments and reporting of unexpected technical issues.
- Independently design, execute, and analyze experiments optimizing production and purification of AAV
- Directly supervise the upstream activities of the Process Development Lab – manage experiments, equipment, inventory, and workloads
- Maintain cell growth, transfection, and infection of mammalian and insect cells for baculovirus and rAAV manufacturing using shake flasks and single-use bioreactors
- Compile and review experimental data with minimal oversight and author publications, protocols, or reports
- Support large-scale manufacturing runs and ensure timely delivery of materials to internal and external partners
- Delivering results in a high paced environment
- Train and mentor junior laboratory technicians
- Additional responsibilities not listed may be assigned as needed by leadership
- Doctoral-level degree with completion of a postdoctoral fellowship or Doctoral-level degree with min. of two years of relevant experience, or Master's degree with min. 8 years direct experience, or Bachelor's Degree with min. of 10 years experience
- Experience with suspension cell culture at all scales: flasks, bench-top bioreactors, and large-scale single-use bioreactors is required
- Experience with upstream processing is required
- Proficiency with MS Excel, GraphPad Prism, and electronic lab notebooks is essential
- Must be self-motivating, organized and proactive
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Must have demonstrated experience effectively managing multiple projects and staff
- Must be able to work independently, but is also a team player with strong collaborative skills
- Ability to work hours necessary to support development and/or product transfer activities.
- Strong technical aptitude including demonstrated experience in applying scientific reasoning to solve complex problems
- In our commitment to safety of our employees and customers a COVID vaccination is required
- Experience with purification of vaccines or viral vectors is preferred
- Proficiency designing, executing, and analyzing DOE is highly desired