Company Profile:Vaxcyte, Inc. (Nasdaq: PCVX)
is a vaccine innovation company engineering high-fidelity vaccines to protect humankind from the consequences of bacterial diseases. The Company is developing broad-spectrum conjugate and novel protein vaccines to prevent or treat bacterial infectious diseases. Vaxcyte’s lead candidate, VAX-24, is a 24-valent, broad-spectrum pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV) being developed for the prevention of invasive pneumococcal disease (IPD). The Company is re-engineering the way highly complex immunizations are made through modern synthetic techniques, including advanced chemistry and our exclusively licensed XpressCFTM cell-free protein synthesis platform. Unlike conventional cell-based approaches, the Company’s system for producing difficult-to-make proteins and antigens is intended to accelerate its ability to efficiently create and deliver high-fidelity vaccines with enhanced immunological benefits. Vaxcyte’s pipeline also includes VAX-XP, a PCV with an expanded breadth of coverage of greater than 30 strains; VAX-A1, a prophylactic vaccine candidate designed to prevent Group A Strep infections; and VAX-PG, a therapeutic vaccine candidate designed to slow or stop the progression of periodontal disease. The Company is driven to eradicate or treat invasive bacterial infections, which have serious and costly health consequences when left unchecked. For more information, visit www.vaxcyte.com
Vaxcyte, headquartered in San Carlos, CA, went public in June 2020 and currently has a team of approximately 100 employees and anticipates continued, significant growth. On January 6, 2022, Vaxcyte announced that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) had cleared the Investigational New Drug (IND) application for VAX-24, its lead vaccine candidate. The Company expects to initiate the VAX-24 Phase 1/2 clinical proof-of-concept study in adults in the first quarter of 2022 and announce Phase 2 topline immunogenicity, safety and tolerability results by the end of the year. VAX-24 was designed to prevent IPD, which can be most serious for infants, young children, older adults and those with immune deficiencies or certain chronic health conditions. Given the global impact of pneumococcal disease remains significant, the public health community continues to advocate for vaccines that can offer broader protection to prevent IPD. Vaxcyte’s PCV franchise, consisting of VAX-24 and VAX-XP, is designed specifically to address this need and has the potential to deliver the broadest protection for this very serious disease. We believe that our PCVs could receive regulatory approval based on successful completion of clinical studies utilizing well-defined surrogate immune endpoints, consistent with how other PCVs have obtained regulatory approval in the past, rather than requiring clinical field efficacy studies. Summary:
Vaxcyte is looking for a Facilities Engineer to be responsible for the maintenance and improvement of our office and laboratories. You will be responsible for assessing the facility's resource requirements, designing, and optimizing the facility's layout and critical operational systems, and overseeing the maintenance of infrastructure and equipment.
The successful facilities engineer should be able to develop and implement utility plans, perform system evaluations, and establish operational efficiency. A top-notch facilities engineer should have excellent project management skills and strong knowledge of structural code requirements. They should also an energetic professional who thrives wearing multiple hats, has owned a wide range of operational office and lab responsibilities, and is able to think and work independently. A successful candidate is well organized, flexible, creative and enjoys the challenges of managing a diverse and energetic office space. This is a full-time, on-site role that reports to the Director of Facilities.
- Ability to analyze data, blueprints, and reports.
- Determining facility and lab equipment specifications and requirements.
- Analyzing project costs and help prepare draft budgets.
- Support developing specifications and implementation of facility and lab equipment, equipment layout, other facility and lab systems, and controls.
- Able to hook up and connect dewars to central gas supply system.
- Evaluating operational systems and facility and lab infrastructure to ascertain and improve operational efficiencies.
- Developing space optimizing and resource allocation plans.
- Planning and coordinating facility and lab infrastructure and equipment maintenance schedules and activities.
- Manage ongoing preventive maintenance and repair work on office mechanical, electrical, and other installed systems, and lab equipment.
- Maintain all Vaxcyte HVAC systems and associated equipment, electrical equipment, plumbing and gas systems, building management system (BMS), and office and lab repairs.
- Maintain and assure the proper function of the facility and its Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing and DI Water Systems including repairing minor malfunctions of any of the components in and around the facility.
- Coordinating and overseeing maintenance contractors performing maintenance activities.
- Review and understand equipment and methods of operation, BMS system, fire/life safety, and other systems.
- Preparing reports and compliance documentation.
- Ensuring compliance with relevant regulations, building codes, and health and safety standards.
- Perform facility inspection and report on conditions affecting operations.
- Comply with all safety procedures and requirements.
- Perform and or manage calibration program.
- Perform minor maintenance, repair or installations.
- Process work requests and turn in completed work requests in a timely and professional manner.
- Respond to emergencies and support afterhours office/lab needs and activities as required
- Assist lab operations team in troubleshooting equipment.
- Knowledge and working understanding of Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS) systems supporting building and lab equipment is a plus.
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical, electrical, or industrial engineering.
- At least 3 years of experience as facilities engineer, biotechnology metrology or in a similar role.
- Experience with AutoCAD, SAP, and CMMS systems.
- Knowledge of the building process and construction principles.
- Knowledge of relevant regulations and building codes.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
- Project management skills.
- High level of integrity and ethics with the ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities efficiently.
- Desire to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Intermediate PC skills including MS Office suite.
- Standing, Walking, Sitting, Reading, Stooping, climbing Ladders, crawling in / through low spaces.
- Heavy Lifting and Moving, Computers and Related Equipment, Heavy Equipment up to 70 lbs.
- All Vaxcyte employees require vaccination against COVID-19.
Director of Facilities Location:
San Carlos, CA Compensation:
The compensation package will be competitive and includes comprehensive benefits and an equity component.