Chief Systems Engineer
In the midst of a materials revolution innovation is moving forward at an unprecedented speed. Over the next decade the rapid advancement in materials will have a massive impact.
TA Instruments and Waters are working together to aid this advancement. Supporting a wide array of markets and measurements to meet the most demanding applications.
Our instrumentation unparalleled in performance, precision and versatility can help you move forward fast to become a key player in the development of these new materials.
No matter the market, no matter the material, no matter the application TA Instruments and Waters will be there creating tomorrow with the tools of today.
The Senior System Engineer will provide the project technical leadership to innovation and project teams for TA Instruments for thermal and rheology systems.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Develop and maintain System and Product Architectures that optimize the lifecycle of the product as well as internal processes such as Design for Manufacturability. Also:
- Produce functional decomposition of product architecture.
- Communicate architecture to business stakeholders and design teams.
- Manage and allocate requirements.
- Define required sub systems features and functions.
- Work with engineers to identify candidate designs to fill architecture needs.
- Track and mitigate product safety risk and regulatory compliance.
- Perform complete lifecycle systems engineering - concept generation to product sustenance.
- Support concept technical risk evaluations based on reuse and previous knowledge capture efforts.
- Effective collaboration with Manufacturing to facilitate Design Transfer.
- The identification, definition and control of interactions across system or system element boundaries.
- Technical Product Leadership to establish cross-site functional excellence and processes to:
- Optimize use test cases to maximize feature coverage and re-use.
- Ensure robust system by fully testing feature sets prior to commercialization.
- Reduce verification efforts by re-using test cases, protocols and combining system and SW testing.
- Facilitate system level testing by feature sets to support design-to-shelf.
- Capture learnings in characterizing the systems
- Design Shelf Management of characterized subassemblies for re-use in product development
- Coordinates all efforts of product development teams ensuring completion of all technical project documentation.
- Oversees the design and development of products while taking into consideration both the goals of the company and the needs of customers.
- Project budgeting and resource management for all technical deliverables within a project.
- Execution of all tasks required in each phase of the project and development of key KPIs to track progress. Develop KPIs to track the performance of product architecture activities for the project teams to communicate to management.
- Maintain traceability of testing and system data.
- Support research and lead innovation projects to develop characterized innovations for the design shelf for re-use in product development.
- Identify and fill gaps in the design shelf coverage.
- Bachelors Degree with 5-10 years of experience in Physics, Engineering / R&D.
- Masters or PhD a plus
- Troubleshooting-Root Cause Analysis skills
- Strategic project management skills - with a strong emphasis on cross-functional collaboration.
- Creative approaches to engineering solutions/issues.
- Data-driven decision making and communication
- Contingency planning and risk mitigation.
- Application of the fundamental concepts of systems thinking to systems engineering
- Selection of the appropriate lifecycles in the realization of a system
- An appreciation of the role the system of interest plays in the system of which it is a part
- System and Product Architecture development
- Use of modeling to support technical understanding and decision making
- Experience in Design for Manufacturability
- Foundational concepts in mathematics, science and engineering and their application
- Objective analysis and evaluation of a topic in order to form a judgement
- Analyze the stakeholder needs and expectations to establish the requirements for a system
- System Integration - logical process for assembling a set of system elements and aggregates into the realized system, product.
- Application of technical knowledge and experience in systems engineering together with appropriate professional competencies
- System and Product Architecture
- System Integration
- Systems Thinking
- Platform/Product Lifecycles
- Capability Engineering
- Critical Thinking
- Systems Modeling and Analysis
- Decision Management
- Concurrent Engineering
- Project Planning and Execution
- Technical Leadership
- Strong leadership and decision making
Waters Corporation (NYSE: WAT), the world's leading specialty measurement company, has pioneered chromatography, mass spectrometry and thermal analysis innovations serving the life, materials, and food sciences for more than 60 years. With more than 7,000 employees worldwide, Waters operates directly in 35 countries, including 15 manufacturing facilities, with products available in more than 100 countries. Our team focuses on creating business advantages for laboratory-dependent organizations to enable significant advancement in healthcare delivery, environmental management, food safety, and water quality.
Working at Waters enables our employees to unlock the potential of their careers. Our global team is driven by purpose. We strive to be better, learn and improve every day in everything we do. We're the problem solvers and innovators that aren't afraid to take risks to transform the world of human health and well-being. We're all in it together delivering benefit as one to provide the insights needed today in order to solve the challenges of tomorrow.
Diversity and inclusion are fundamental to our core values at Waters Corporation. It is our responsibility to actively implement programs and practices to drive inclusive behavior and increase diversity across the organization. We are united by diversity and thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products, our customers and our community. Waters is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or protected Veteran status.
Key WordsMechanical Engineer