Research Scientist, Microbiology
We are currently searching for a Research Scientist, Microbiology to provide support to the National Institutes of Health (NIH). This opportunity is a full-time position with MSC, and it is on-site in Bethesda, MD.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide technical support for research studies in microbiology.
- Execute experimental studies and assist with planning, design, and modification of experiments.
- Analyze and organize data.
- May make presentations of the data in lab meetings and departmental meetings.
- May contribute to the writing of manuscripts for publication.
- Maintains laboratory equipment.
- Work on development, validation and implementation of high complexity laboratory developed tests, potentially requiring a high degree of expertise in proteomic, molecular biology and bioinformatic methods.
- Maintain and organize highly detailed records pertaining to the development, validation and implementation of assays related to the microbiology research.
- Develop and optimize innovative methods to process cell and bacterial cultures, animal and human clinical samples for proteomic and genomic profiling and quantitation.
- Comprehensive proteomic and genomic data analysis using variety of different methods and software.
- Performs DNA extractions, PCR and real-time PCR assays.
- Perform Sanger sequencing of bacterial, fungal, and mycobacterial isolates.
- Identify problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results; correct problem or notify staff; document all corrective actions taken.
- Maintain records of instrument failure, troubleshooting and QC related to research.
- Inventory reagents and supplies.
- Communicate clearly with everyone on research team about experimental plans and collaborative projects.
- Collaborate with other research staff to evaluate new techniques, perform comparative studies with older technology, and perform evaluations to determine new methodologies.
- Comply with accrediting and inspections agency requirements.
- Work requires basic use of scientific methods, procedures and techniques gained through previous training and experience.
- Uses basic understanding of theory behind experiments and applies basic analytical skills to implement assigned projects, and to identify and trouble-shoot situations needing special attention.
- Follows established procedures or protocols and utilizes aseptic technique to perform laboratory tests and/or experiments which may include: basic microbiology and tissue culture, cell separation methods, electrophoretic separations, assays, molecular biology, or other specialized histology and biological science techniques.
- Ph.D. in Microbiology or a related discipline.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience in research laboratory.
- Computer skills to include tools for genomic, bioinformatic and proteomic analysis
- Ability to lift 10 – 30 pounds.
- Excellent hand-eye coordination.
- Strong communications skills, both oral and written.
- Excellent analytical, organizational and time management skills.
Dovel Technologies and its Family of Companies (Medical Science & Computing and Ace Info Solutions) was acquired in October 2021.
Guidehouse is a leading global provider of consulting services to the public sector and commercial markets, with broad capabilities in management, technology, and risk consulting. By combining our public and private sector expertise, we help clients address their most complex challenges and navigate significant regulatory pressures focusing on transformational change, business resiliency, and technology-driven innovation. Across a range of advisory, consulting, outsourcing, and digital services, we create scalable, innovative solutions that help our clients outwit complexity and position them for future growth and success. The company has more than 12,000 professionals in over 50 locations globally. Guidehouse is a Veritas Capital portfolio company, led by seasoned professionals with proven and diverse expertise in traditional and emerging technologies, markets, and agenda-setting issues driving national and global economies.
Guidehouse is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, age, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.
Guidehouse will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law or ordinance, including the Fair Chance Ordinance of Los Angeles and San Francisco.
If you have visited our website for information about employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require accommodation, please contact Guidehouse Recruiting at 1-571-633-1711 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@guidehouse.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodation.
Guidehouse does not accept unsolicited resumes through or from search firms or staffing agencies. All unsolicited resumes will be considered the property of Guidehouse, and Guidehouse will not be obligated to pay a placement fee.