Vice President, Research Platform
About the Role
Freenome is focused on developing novel technological solutions to understand the dynamic collection of genetic material floating in blood (cell-free) derived from trillions of cells in the body. The company then uses proprietary machine learning tools, developed in-house, to analyze these multiomic data. This allows Freenome to detect every possible signature of cancer at an early and often treatable stage
Freenome’s multiomics platform detects key biological signals from a routine, non-invasive blood draw. This strategy of integrating cell-free DNA, methylation, and protein assays offers a multidimensional view of both tumor- and immune-derived signatures that enable the early detection of cancer, instead of relying on tumor-derived markers alone, which may miss the early signs of the disease
With the recent Series E funding, Freenome seeks to bring on an experienced Vice President, Research Platform to augment and lead the laboratory research team and advance a pipeline of blood tests for both the early detection and early intervention of additional cancers. This individual will oversee all aspects of molecular research and biomarker and assay development.
- Lead and grow a talented team of research scientists with expertise in genomics, proteomics, and pre-analytical research
- Oversee all “wet lab” research. The current team consists of over 30 individuals and is projected to grow steadily over the next several months.
- Collaborate as a key member of the R&D leadership team with a focus on optimizing and elevating the team’s efforts in assay and biomarker development, particularly on expanding our pipeline with blood tests for early detection of diseases.
- Foster efficient cross-functional collaboration with computational research, engineering, clinical, and regulatory teams to develop and transition products from feasibility to development
- Adhere to and actively promote Freenome’s core values of empathy, trust, excellence, integrity, and servant leadership.
Your background, perspective and experience:
- Ph.D. in a Life Science field with experience in molecular diagnostics in NGS and/or immunoassay blood-based tests.
- Leadership expertise demonstrating strong personal and professional characteristics such as:
- common sense, work ethic, mentorship, and accomplishments aligned with Freenome’s values
- consummate, respected, innovative, and credible scientific leadership in the molecular diagnostics space
- Strong leadership and a compelling track record of building and retaining large, world-class teams and a proven mentor, coach, motivator, and manager.
- Presence and gravitas to credibly represent the company to external constituents, including KOLs, investors, regulators, and the diagnostics community.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively influence senior executives is critical, as is the capacity to develop, communicate, advocate for, and execute upon a scientific strategy
- An outstanding work ethic coupled with an engaging disposition and strong entrepreneurial drive
As a condition of employment, you agree to know and comply with our COVID-19 vaccination policy requiring all employees who work on-site and/or attend work-related events to be fully vaccinated and to receive a COVID-19 booster once eligible. Company employees working on-site are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and to receive a COVID-19 booster once eligible, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law. Absent a reasonable accommodation or legal exception, you agree to provide proof of your vaccination status and to be fully vaccinated by your first day on-site, in accordance with our policy. If you are currently eligible for a COVID-19 booster, you also agree to provide proof of having received a booster. If you are not yet eligible for a COVID-19 booster, you must provide proof of receiving a booster within two weeks of becoming eligible.
Freenome is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. Freenome does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
We have raised more than $1.1B from leading investors including Perceptive Advisors, RA Capital Management, Roche Venture Fund, Kaiser Permanente, Novartis and the American Cancer Society’s BrightEdge Ventures.
A ‘Freenomer’ is a mission-driven employee who is fueled by the opportunity to make a positive impact on patients' lives, who thrives in a culture of respect and cross collaboration, and whose work makes a significant impact on the company and their career.
Freenomers are technical, creative, visionary, grounded, empathetic and passionate. We build teams around divergent expertise, allowing us to solve problems and ascertain opportunities in unique ways. Freenomers are some of the most talented experts in their fields, joining together to advance healthcare, one breakthrough at a time.
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Competitive compensation
- Pre-IPO equity
- Flexible PTO (exempt) and generous PTO (non-exempt)
- Comprehensive health coverage, including medical, dental, and vision
- Wellness and mental health resources, including Employee Assistance Programs (EAPs), Paid maternity and paternity leave
- 401(k) plan
- $250.00 new hire stipend to enhance your home office experience
- Plus, a variety of other perks, including pre-tax commuter benefits, two paid volunteer days per year, pet insurance, and additional discounts
# # #
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws.
Notice to agencies:
Our in-house Talent Acquisition Team manages all employment opportunities at Freenome. Agencies and independent recruiters must be approved as a vendor by Freenome’s Talent Acquisition team before submitting candidates to any Freenome employee.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes or biographies from agencies under any circumstances. Any unsolicited resumes sent to Freenome, including those sent to a Freenome email address or directly to Freenome employees, will be considered Freenome property. Freenome will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume. Freenome will consider any candidate for whom an Agency has submitted an unsolicited resume to have been referred by the Agency free of any charges or fees.
Please do not contact Freenome employees directly. Compliance with this request will impact our decision to work with you.