Xencor is an innovative, clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company located in the Los Angeles area—near Pasadena—and in San Diego. We use our pioneering XmAb® technology to discover and develop better biotherapeutics, antibodies and cytokines with improved function, with the goal of improving patient outcomes and quality of life. We have an excellent opportunity for a Scientist, Immuno-Oncology to join our team.
Our protein engineering capabilities and the modular nature of our XmAb technology allow us to quickly identify and create new platforms and drug candidates for potential development. We are advancing a deep clinical pipeline of novel drug candidates, including eight bispecific antibodies and two engineered cytokines, and more programs are expected to start clinical testing in 2022. We also leverage our many XmAb technologies by collaborating with leading global biopharmaceutical companies, including Genentech and Janssen Biotech, among others, and including our partnerships, 20 XmAb drug candidates are advancing through clinical development. Three XmAb medicines, to treat patients with a range of serious illnesses, such as aggressive lymphoma, rare blood disorders and COVID-19, are now marketed worldwide by partners.
Our employees are the most important factor in our success, and we have assembled a highly talented group from diverse backgrounds and disciplines to execute our business plan and shape our future. Xencor employees’ value new ideas and flexibility and demand from each other scientific rigor, a passion for innovation, and a willingness to take risks.
We currently have an excellent opportunity for a talented Scientist Immuno-Oncology to join our team in Discovery Biology.
We are seeking a PhD scientist and immunologist to join our Discovery Biology team within the Discovery Biology and Pharmacology department. Our scientists in Discovery Biology are significant contributors in novel research and innovation and support the development of our antibody and cytokine therapies. This team performs functional in vitro studies to characterize the pharmacologic properties, biological activity, and mechanism of action of our antibody and cytokine therapies. The ideal candidate has expertise and extensive hands-on experience with primary human immune cells in immunoassays and bioassays, as well as technical expertise and broad hands-on experience in multicolor flow cytometry and associated instrumentation and analysis software, such as FACSDiva and FlowJo. The ideal candidate is highly motivated, able to work in a fast-paced, matrixed environment, and passionate about developing immunomodulatory therapeutics for the treatment of cancer and autoimmune diseases. She/he will contribute towards the identification of therapeutic candidates using cellular and immunological methods, including flow cytometry and in vitro imaging platforms in high throughput formats. This open position is an exciting opportunity to impact the next wave of drug development candidates to enter our pipeline. Candidates should have a demonstrated record of technical proficiency and scientific creativity, and an ability to work effectively with other talented scientists.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and conduct immunological and cellular bioassays to characterize the functional and biological properties and mechanisms of action of antibody and cytokine therapies
- Support translational studies and pre-clinical models to evaluate efficacy and safety of antibody and cytokine therapies; no direct animal contact is required
- Document experimental protocols, design, data/results, and conclusions in an electronic laboratory notebook
- Analyze and interpret experimental data, and prepare presentations and technical reports
- Communicate data to team members in a timely manner and present data to senior management in departmental and company-wide meetings
- Follow all laboratory safety guidelines, practices, and protocols
- PhD in Immunology, Biology, or equivalent field in Biological Sciences; 1-3 years of postdoctoral experience is preferred or similar experience in industry
- Extensive experience with primary cell culture and performing in vitro assays using primary immune cells from blood or tissues is required
- Experience with human immune cells and human immunology is preferred
- Technical experience in multicolor flow cytometry and associated instrumentation and software (e.g., BD FACSDiva, FlowJo, FCS Express) is required
- Experience with data analytics software such as GraphPad Prism and Microsoft Excel is required
- Experience designing high-throughput cell-based assays with human PBMC to assess immune functions is highly desirable
- Preference given to candidates with strong familiarity with cell-mediated immunity, antigen-specific T cells, cytokine biology, tumor-immune interactions, and human T cell biology
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
We strive to create an environment that will challenge, motivate, and reward our employees for meeting the changing demands of creating breakthrough therapeutics. Xencor has a highly collaborative structure that integrates co-workers with different skill sets into teams for product and technology development. With an emphasis on attaining the best and most highly qualified candidates in their respective fields, we offer a competitive salary & benefits package.
Physical, Mental and Environment Demands:
The physical, mental and working environment demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the primary functions of this position.
The working environment for this role includes working in a research laboratory which may involve running experiments and operating laboratory scale process equipment for sample and data generation. Occasionally, repetitive tasks, prolonged standing, and the use of PPE for handling hazardous and biohazardous materials may be required. See additional requirements for laboratory and research related jobs listed below.
The physical demands of the office are normally associated with extended amounts of time sitting and using office equipment, including a computer, keyboard and mouse, which can cause muscle strain. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk and sit. Periodic light lifting of supplies and materials may apply.
Specific mental demands for the position are listed above under requirements. In addition, mental demands for this position include:
- Ability to multitask without loss of efficiency or accuracy, including the ability to perform multiple duties from multiple sources.
- Ability to work and sustain attention with distractions and/or interruptions.
- Ability to interact appropriately with a variety of individuals including vendors, customers and clients.
- Ability to maintain regular attendance and be punctual.
- Ability to understand, remember and follow verbal and written instructions.
Additional Requirements for Laboratory and Research Related Jobs
This role may involve work with experimental subjects and/or specimens including infected samples, plus various Hazardous Materials and infectious agents (Bloodborne Pathogens, or other potentially infections materials (OPIMs). Therefore, the following are also required:
- Ability to follow the established Environmental Health & Safety rules, procedures, and/or BioSafety Guidelines
- Ability to read and understand Safety Data Sheets (SDSs)
- Ability to be available and willing to work some weekends and evenings to conduct and complete experiments
- Knowledge of biosafety techniques and aseptic/gowning practices
- Experience with laboratory safety standards and procedures, including biohazard handling and disposal techniques, and the ability to ensure laboratory compliance with required safety regulations
- Experience working with biological and chemical hazards, infectious agents, bloodborne pathogens and animal allergens
- Experience working in and maintaining a sterile environment
- Experience working with chemical, and biological hazards
- Thorough knowledge of the operation and maintenance of various lab equipment such as microscopes, centrifuges, spectrophotometers, balances, pH meters, and electrophoresis equipment, freezers, and incubators.
Occasional travel may be required, including travel between Xencor’s Monrovia and San Diego offices. Work for this position is generally performed at Xencor’s worksite and requires full-time commitment.
Xencor requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Being fully vaccinated means that at least two weeks have passed since an individual’s final dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine regimen, including any boosters recommended by the CDC. New employees will be required to provide proof of their fully COVID-19 vaccinated status as of their start date unless an exemption or accommodation is approved.
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Statement
The Company will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please contact HR@xencor.com.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Statement
The Company is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender or gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law.
Xencor does not accept profiles or resumes from recruiting vendors without a binding written agreement. Any unsolicited submission of services and or resumes in no way creates an obligation or duty by Xencor, implied or otherwise.