Engineer, Instrument Manufacturing
DNA Script is a leading company in manufacturing de novo synthetic nucleic acids using enzymatic DNA synthesis (EDS) technology. The company aims at accelerating innovation in life science and technology through the decentralization of rapid, on demand and high-quality DNA synthesis. DNA Script's approach leverages nature's billions of years of evolution in synthesizing DNA to set a new standard for customizing nucleic acid synthesis thus accelerating discovery in genetics, genomics, and synthetic biology. Discovery disciplines with profound impacts upon humanity such as biopharma, translational genetics and even molecular information storage all start with synthetic DNA. The company has recently initiated the commercialization of its first EDS powered platform, the SYNTAX system.
To date, DNA Script has raised over $315M of financing, with leading investors such as Coatue Management, Fidelity Management and Research, Catalio Capital Management, Casdin Capital, LSP, Bpifrance Large Ventures, Danaher, Illumina Ventures, Agilent, Merck Ventures, Sofinnova Partners, Kurma Partners, T Rowe Price, Baillie Gifford and Eurazeo.
DNA Script also partners on technology and product development with leading organizations such as DARPA, IARPA, Moderna Therapeutics, GE Research, Illumina, the Broad Institute, Harvard University, Institut Pasteur and the French Department of Defense.
DNA Script has its research and manufacturing facilities headquartered in Paris, France, and is in the process of expanding its commercial and development teams in South San Francisco.
Opportunity and Challenges :
We are looking to assemble a team of best-in-class, innovative and passionately eager people. We want to gather their talents and skills to achieve one goal: unlock the power of “DNA-write.” We offer the opportunity of joining a dynamic, international, and highly skilled team in a pioneering startup. Our DNA On Demand platform not only has the potential to change the way the world makes and uses synthetic DNA, but also to accelerate the rate of discovery by delivering upon the promise of same-day results.
This is an opportunity to join a rapidly growing company and to have a large impact on developing a technology that will have far-reaching impacts across biological sciences.
We are looking for an Instrument Manufacturing Engineer to execute our manufacturing activities for DNA Script’s current and future hardware systems. As an Instrument Manufacturing engineer, you will be responsible to follow the Instrument Manufacturing department strategy, ensure good realization of manufacturing processes both internally and externally, in support of the company’s strategy and objectives. In order to be successful, you will need to work across the company on a global setting, in particular with Product Development and Supply chain teams. The ideal candidate will enjoy both the challenge of building new products, and the rigor and accountability of manufacturing and delivering best in class products with exceptional cost and turnaround time.
This position reports to the Director, Instrument Manufacturing, based in South San Francisco.
- Execute instrument manufacturing strategy, to meet production and cost targets regarding the instrumentation part of our products
- Partner with our contract manufacturer to ensure cost, quality, and time objectives are met
- Work with internal team and external contract manufacturer to work through technical problems relating to electro-mechanical systems
- Direct external and perform internal functional/performance QC tests
- Ensure availability of the instruments that will be sold to customers by performing an operational follow-up of the units under production and under QC and report status on a daily/weekly basis
- Help to create and maintain Bill of Material, assembly procedures, test procedures and specifications for products
- Assist with process and design changes at contract manufacturer
- Partner with contract manufacturer to review specifications, process, and supply chain improvements and changes.
- Partner with Field Service Engineer team on field facing troubleshooting
Experience & Qualification
- Bachelor’s Degree in Instrument engineering, or related field
- Proven experience in manufacturing, assembly, and production of life science related instruments
- Experience with manufacturing of liquid handling robotic systems
- Experience with ERP and MRP systems
- Previous experience in a similar position in a biotech and/or life science company
- Previous experience in ISO certified environment
- Teamwork – ability to collaborate in inter-company, cross-functional and multi-cultural teams to meet objectives
- Strong technical background related environment with an emphasis on technical cross-functional teams is preferred
- A demonstrated willingness to “roll up one’s sleeves” and be “hands on”
- Willingness to execute assembly and logistic operations on the field
- Effective team player who possesses strong interpersonal and collaboration skills
- Sense of urgency as to objectives and timelines, while maintaining flexibility to shifting priorities
- Strong organizational, analytical and reporting skills
- Fluent English speaker and excellent communication skills (written & verbal)
- Attention to details
- Job located in South San Francisco, California
- Start date: As soon as possible.
- Health, Dental, Vision. Company pays 80% of premiums for employees and dependents. We have lots of plans available including HMOs, PPOs, HDHPs, etc.
- Life insurance
- 401(k) with 4% match
- Short and long-term disability insurance
- Other employee-funded plans including pre-tax commuter, HSA, and FSA
- Initial screening with the hiring manager
- Day interview at the office (or remote) with the manager, cofounders, HR and the rest of the team
- Reference Checks
- Timing: 2-3 weeks