Structural Biology Developer
We’re seeking a Structural Biology Developer to join us in our mission to improve human health and quality of life through the development, distribution, and application of advanced computational methods!
As a member of our Protein Structure Refinement team, you’ll leverage your computational chemistry/physics background to develop software in the field of X-ray crystallography and cryo-electron microscopy. You’ll employ good software engineering practices to pursue top-notch science, using continuous integration, extensive testing, and code review as part of your daily practice. The ideal candidate has extensive experience developing software in the field of protein structure refinement, X-ray crystallography, cryo-electron microscopy, or NMR spectroscopy, and is eager to adopt good software engineering practices.
Who will love this job:
- A proficient programmer who enjoys developing new computational tools in a clear, maintainable style
- A savvy scientist who wants to be at the forefront of structural biology and structure-based drug discovery
- An excellent verbal and written communicator
What you'll do:
- Design and develop new computational tools to aid in structural biology and structure refinement
- Investigate and validate algorithms on existing data to enhance protein structure quality
- Create and monitor tests to ensure the accuracy and stability of our predictions
- Maintain and improve existing code and workflows
- Review code and advise others on best coding practices
What you should have:
- Ph.D. in computational chemistry, structural biology, or a related field
- Proficiency with Linux and Python, and experience with Fortran or C/C++
- Background in one of the following areas: X-ray crystallography, cryo-electron microscopy, protein-structure refinement, or NMR spectroscopy
- A firm grasp of software development fundamentals and test-driven development practices
- Experience developing scientific tools to validate novel algorithms
- Peer-reviewed publications in structural biology or related fields
- Broad knowledge of algorithms used in computational drug discovery is desirable
Pay and perks:
Schrödinger understands it’s people that make a company great. Because of this, we’re prepared to offer a competitive salary, stock options, and a wide range of benefits that include healthcare (with dental and vision), a 401k, pre-tax commuter benefits, a flexible work schedule, and a parental leave program. We have catered meals in the office every day, a company culture that is relaxed but engaged, and over a month of paid vacation time. Our Administrative and Human Resources departments also plan a myriad of fun company-wide events. New York is home to our largest office, but we have teams all over the world. Schrödinger is honored to have been selected as one of Crain's New York Best Places to Work for the past three years running.
Sound exciting? Apply today and join us!
As an equal opportunity employer, Schrödinger hires outstanding individuals into every position in the company. People who work with us have a high degree of engagement, a commitment to working effectively in teams, and a passion for the company's mission. We place the highest value on creating a safe environment where our employees can grow and contribute, and refuse to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious belief, sex, age, disability, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, marital status, partnership status, caregiver status, sexual and reproductive health decisions, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected characteristic. To us, "diversity" isn't just a buzzword, but an important element of our core principles and key business practices. We believe that diverse companies innovate better and think more creatively than homogenous ones because they take into account a wide range of viewpoints. For us, greater diversity doesn't mean better headlines or public images - it means increased adaptability and profitability.