Ambrx (NYSE: AMAM) is a clinical-stage biologics company focused on discovering and developing a novel class of specific and selective engineered precision biologics, using our proprietary platform technology that allows site-specific incorporation of synthetic amino acids (SAAs) into proteins within living cells. Our product candidates are designed to overcome the inherent limitations of conventional conjugation approaches that use non-site-specific conjugation, in order to optimize for safety and efficacy benefits across multiple therapeutic classes in broad therapeutic areas.
Ambrx is seeking a highly motivated and dedicated Assistant Controller to be a key member of the Finance team in a fast-paced and dynamic environment. The position oversees the payroll and cash accounts management functions and will directly support the SEC and external reporting functions. The Assistant Controller will ensure accurate and timely processing and recording of the company’s financial transactions and ensures compliance with internal controls. The Assistant Controller reports to the VP of Accounting Operations and Financial Reporting.
- Responsible for all aspects of accounting management and executes on the day-to-day accounting operations which includes: accounts payable, account receivable and revenue recognition, general ledger, fixed assets, clinical trial accounting, tax compliance, payroll, cash & cash equivalents, marketable securities.
- Responsible for consolidated financial statements including consolidations of subsidiaries and manages subsidiary accounting records.
- Manage the Accounts Payable Manager and Payroll Supervisor and work with internal managers of different departments.
- Work with the VP of Accounting Operations and Financial Reporting, responsible for timely and successful completion of external financial audits and quarterly reviews.
- Develop and manage clinical trial and manufacturing accounting accruals.
- Ensure appropriate recognition, classification and safeguarding of fixed assets and intangible assets.
- Develop documentation of standards and procedures for the accounting and finance teams’ processes.
- Proactively researches and resolves accounting or documentation issues and discrepancies.
- Responsible for timely and accurate month end close and monthly account reconciliations (consolidation workbook, supplemental schedules, rollforwards, reconciliations, etc.). Produce monthly reporting package and financial statements.
- Create and post journal entries to the general ledger, including month-end recurring and accrual entries. Consolidation and elimination entries.
- Monitoring actual versus budget, including variance analysis; perform analytics to explain variances for the balance sheet actual results as compared to prior periods.
- Maintain and monitor the system of internal accounting controls and ensure their efficiency and effectiveness.
- Lead as primary contact for inquires, from internal and external representatives.
- Ensures the effectiveness of internal controls and integrity of accounting records and resulting financial statements
- Ensuring all accounting practices are in compliance with legal guidelines and established accounting principles
- Ensures an ERP system (Great Plains) is configured and maintained to optimally support the company’s accounting needs.
- Supports company’s SEC filing on quarterly / annual basis (i.e. such as footnote preparation and support)
- Supports ongoing financial planning and analysis and financial forecasting.
- Provide timely and accurate reporting of all federal, state, and local tax filings (income taxes, property taxes, sales and use taxes, franchise taxes, 1099s etc.);
- Completes ad-hoc financial reporting and analysis, as well as, special projects as needed, other duties as assigned.
- BA/BS degree in accounting or finance.
- Active CPA.
- 10+ years relevant finance and accounting experience including previous experience at the Assistant Controller or Director level.
- Previous experience in Biotech industry & public company experience, Big 4 or large regional experience preferred.
- Previous experience with clinical trial, research and development, and outsourced manufacturing accounting desired.
- Demonstrated ability in leading and building an accounting function from the ground-up, including recruitment, development and retention of top industry talent.
- Proven ability to analyze financial data and prepare financial reports, statements, and projections
- Strong knowledge of U.S. GAAP and Sarbanes-Oxley.
- Ability to research and interpret accounting guidance.
- Strong knowledge and experience using Microsoft Dynamics GP (Great Plains).
- Excellent analytical skills, attention to detail, and organization.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
To be considered for this opportunity, please submit your resume/CV referencing the position code.. Applicants whose qualifications and experiences most closely match the requirements will be reviewed. Candidates will only be contacted for evaluative discussions. Ambrx offers competitive compensations & benefits. EOE.