HOW MIGHT YOU DEFY IMAGINATION?
Youve earned your degree. How will you use that achievement to reach your goals? Do more with the knowledge youve worked hard to acquire and the passion you already have. At Amgen, our shared missionto serve patientsdrives all that we do. It is key to our becoming one of the worlds leading biotechnology companies, reaching over 10 million patients worldwide. Become the professional you are meant to be in this meaningful role.Sustainability EngineerLive
What you will do
Lets do this. Lets change the world. Amgen is searching for an Engineer responsible for planning, design, construction, and operational support to world-wide Amgen clients with emphasis on environmental sustainability related projects and initiatives. This Engineer will preferably work out of our main corporate campus in Thousand Oaks, CA; however, other Amgen locations (West Greenwich, Rhode Island; San Francisco, CA; and Cambridge, MA) may be considered.
The Engineer will be part of the Engineering Technical Authority (ETA) department with a focus on technical assessment, planning, oversight, and design for projects and initiatives that reduce carbon footprint, water consumption, and waste generation. This role collaborates with Corporate and Site Engineers and is a member of our Facilities, Utilities, and Sustainability Engineering team.Key responsibilities include:
- Support the Corporate Environmental Sustainability program by developing and providing updates to strategic energy/carbon, water, and waste reduction targets across global sites
- Engineering Project and Proposal Development
- Identify energy and water consumption improvement initiatives and innovative / alternative technologies to optimize utility usage;
- Develop the assessment, cost analysis, technical feasibility, and lifecycle impact of potential energy, water, and waste reduction related projects. This would include generating HVAC, heat-load, energy related, and mass/energy balance calculations;
- Develop presentations and reports to facilitate the business case development of project proposals;
- Work with system subject matter experts (SMEs) and clients to develop and specify opportunities for integration of projects within capital planning and equipment lifecycle-based replacement projects;
- Analyze the system and facilities energy and water usage as well as utility costs to find opportunities for performing energy and water audits on sites;
- Identify system retro-commissioning opportunities to support advancement of monitoring-based commissioning process / digitalization of equipment performance monitoring;
- Work with project design teams and external consultants to design, develop, and support engineering project development, plans, standards, and equipment selection;
- Ensure commissioning and qualification standards are developed and used. Provide support & lead aspects of C&Q;
- Investigate technology and issues as a technical SME for initiative and project design teams. Designs include new and renovated systems as well as new technology deployment. Ensure designs optimize the total equipment life cycle;
- Develop and approve procedures for the safe, efficient, and effective operation of systems;
- Ensure the delivery of system maintenance plans including Computerized Maintenance Management System database build-out, spare parts identification and stocking strategies, and maintenance plans.
- Sustainability Program Reporting and Communications
- Connect with state and local utility companies to identify and understand available incentives for implementing energy and water reduction projects or pilot project opportunities;
- Collaborate with site engineering teams as well as site and corporate EHSS teams to develop annual corporate sustainability reports (which include reporting and verification of global energy, water, and waste reduction projects);
- Perform and support the measurement and verification of site sustainability projects to verify the actual energy, water, and waste reduction goals are achieved.
- Provide engineering support and complex issue resolution during build and installation processes.
- Assist sites in operational troubleshooting.
- Travel up to 30%.
What we expect of you
We are all different, yet we all use our unique contributions to serve patients. The dynamic professional we seek is an individual with these qualifications.
- Masters degree or Master's degree by September 2022 in Engineering OR
- Bachelors degree and 2 years of Engineering experience OR
- Associates Degree and 6 years of Engineering experience OR
- High School Diploma / GED and 8 years of Engineering experience
- Masters degree in Engineering, Physical, or Life Sciences
- Bachelors degree in Chemical or Mechanical Engineering
- Demonstrated behaviors consistent with Amgens Values
- Passion and interest in environmental sustainability
- Experience in sustainability assessments (including carbon footprint elimination, water consumption reduction, and waste minimization)
- Experience and / or knowledge of industrial, laboratory, and relevant manufacturing environments and systems including but not limited to: boilers, chilled water plants, refrigeration, compressed air, process heating / cooling, motors, pumps, HVAC, and lighting
- Knowledge of engineering principles to determine attainable usage reductions / savings (energy and utility costs) for various energy and water conservation measures
- Ability to develop and support detailed engineering analysis spreadsheets to support project justification, design, development, and capital planning
- Experience or exposure to measurement and verification (M&V) and international measurement and verification protocols such as IPMVP
- Experience working on LEED projects or LEED certification
- Successful completion of EIT with intention to pursue a PE license
- Experience in implementing engineering projects
- Ability to lead and deliver results in an interactive matrixed environment
- Strong written and oral communication skills, relationship building, and leadership skills
- Experience with general office software applications (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
Some of the vast rewards of working here
As we work to develop treatments that take care of others, we also work to care for our teammates professional and personal growth and well-being.
- Full support and career-development resources to expand your skills, enhance your expertise, and maximize your potential along your career journey
- A diverse and inclusive community of belonging, where teammates are empowered to bring ideas to the table and act
- Generous Total Rewards Plancomprising health, finance and wealth, work/life balance, and career benefitswith compensation and benefits rated above 4 stars (out of 5) on Glassdoor
Amgen is committed to unlocking the potential of biology for patients suffering from serious illnesses by discovering, developing, manufacturing and delivering innovative human therapeutics. This approach begins by using tools like advanced human genetics to unravel the complexities of disease and understand the fundamentals of human biology.
Amgen focuses on areas of high unmet medical need and demonstrates its expertise to strive for solutions that improve health outcomes and dramatically improve peoples lives. A biotechnology pioneer since 1980, Amgen has grown to be one of the worlds leading independent biotechnology companies, has reached millions of patients around the world and is developing a pipeline of medicines with breakaway potential.Apply now
for a career that defies imagination
Objects in your future are closer than they appear. Join us.careers.amgen.com
Join UsIf you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.Amgen requires all staff in the United States, Puerto Rico and Canada to be vaccinated from COVID 19 as a condition of employment. In accordance with applicable law, Amgen will provide reasonable accommodations to staff members who qualify on the basis of a medical reason or a sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance. Such accommodation may not pose an undue hardship to Amgen, its operations, or its staff.