Sr. Payroll Specialist
Vaxart is a clinical-stage biotechnology company developing a range of oral recombinant vaccines based on its proprietary delivery platform. Vaxart vaccines are administered using convenient room temperature-stable tablets that can be stored and shipped without refrigeration.
Vaxart has demonstrated that its proprietary tablet vaccine delivery platform is suitable to deliver recombinant vaccines, positioning the company to develop oral versions of currently marketed vaccines and to design recombinant vaccines for new indications. Its development programs currently include tablet vaccines designed to protect against coronavirus, norovirus, seasonal influenza, and respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), as well as a therapeutic vaccine for human papillomavirus (HPV), Vaxart’s first immuno-oncology indication.
Our mission is the promotion of global health through the development of effective vaccines that can be administered by tablet rather than by injection, providing for the simple and efficient distribution and administration of safe vaccines in any setting.
We are looking for a Sr. Payroll Specialist to join our growing South San Francisco team!
The Sr. Payroll Specialist plays an integral role by ensuring employees are paid accurately and on-time. This role has a direct impact on the employee experience, system implementations, and will collaborate on special projects as they arise. The Sr. Payroll Specialist is a valued member of the Finance team and plays a key role in compliance, audits, and assists with building sustainable processes.
- Process multi-state payroll, (including monthly, quarterly, semi-annual, and annual supplemental pay processing) while adhering to deadlines.
- Ensure new employee information is properly updated in payroll system and maintain payroll database integrity.
- Interpret, process, and maintain employee deductions (levies, garnishments, etc.) and ensure any one-time changes are handled appropriately.
- Responsible for calculation of payment and reconciliation of all terminations within resident state regulations.
- Assist with reconciliation of periodic, quarterly, and annual tax filings.
- Research and resolve payroll-related problems, unexpected results or process flaws; recommend solutions or alternate methods to meet requirements.
- Responsible for Time and Attendance system maintenance, training, and processing of transactions.
- Make suggestions for process improvement for efficiencies and scalability.
- Assist with payroll audits (Workers’ Compensation, 401(k), EEOC, Annual Financials, SOX, etc.).
- Respond to inquiries concerning employees’ payroll deductions, time-off accruals, hours, wage garnishments, and other related topics; assist with resolution of related problems; troubleshoot errors and assist with technical matters.
- Create and upload payroll and benefits journal entries in NetSuite.
- Create and prepare reports for Finance team and other functional groups (bi-weekly, monthly, quarterly, and as needed).
- Coordinate with the HR team on payroll updates.
- Understand proper taxation of employer and employee-paid benefits and ensure proper processing through payroll (HSA, FSA, Medical, Dental, Vision, AD&D, Life insurance, Disability, 401(k), etc.).
- Adhere to corporate policies and procedures.
- Maintain strict confidentiality of company and personnel information.
- Perform other duties and participate in projects as needed.
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, and local payroll, wage, and hour laws and best practices.
- Minimum of five years of payroll experience with at least two years at a public company with US GAAP and SOX controls
- Bachelor's or Associate degree in Accounting, Finance, or closely related field strongly preferred.
- Detail oriented and possess research and analytical talents with ability to multi-task
- Ability to work under pressure and prioritize multiple tasks
- Must have strong customer service aptitude with good written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with Paychex and Equity Edge a plus.
- Payroll system implementation experience, a plus.
- Understanding of taxation based on earnings types (regular, bonus, etc.) as well as state and local taxes.
- Understanding of federal, state, and local payroll laws and regulations.
- Strong problem-solving skills with a high level of attention to detail and accuracy.
- NetSuite or equivalent experience strongly desired.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook) and advanced Excel skills
- APA certification helpful.
- Experience with equity transactions: ISOs, NSO’s and ESPP.
Vaxart has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy which requires our employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID as a condition of employment. Vaxart will make reasonable accommodations for valid exemptions based on disability, medical, or religious reasons. Vaxart prioritizes sound science and available facts to best ensure the ongoing safety of our employees and the community.
Vaxart offers team members a competitive compensation and benefits package, including a robust health plan, bonus program, stock options, 401K with employer matching, tuition assistance, and work-life balance.
Vaxart is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity. We are committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Equal opportunity and consideration are afforded to all qualified applicants and employees in personnel actions, which include recruiting and hiring, selection for training, promotion, rates of pay or other compensation, transfer, discipline, demotion, and layoff or termination. Vaxart does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, family medical history or genetic information, citizenship, national origin or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, military status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation.