Principal, Business Development
Position Summary & Role
We are seeking a highly motivated and creative Principal, Business Development to join the Resilience Advanced Research and Development (ARD) group to work in partnership with the Head of ARD Business Development and other internal stakeholders to identify, access, and evaluate breakthrough technologies and workflows that are supportive of the ARD mission.
The Principal will support a diverse portfolio of external third party interactions and potential transactional relationships directed to creating and maintaining development partnerships through identification, evaluation, negotiation, closing, and maintenance of ARD opportunities.
The Principal will quickly become a critical member of the ARD team by guiding projects through competitive landscaping, facilitating intellectual property assessments, and creating diverse financial models. The role requires coordination with Corporate Business Development, Finance and Legal groups founded on strong business and commercial awareness with complementing scientific knowledge in relevant gene and cell engineering practices.
- Embed into platform and product teams to enable and facilitate efficient interaction with those third party technology providers identified by the Program Managers and Product Owners
- Manage knowledge-bases that track technology access campaigns through early assessment through technical evaluation, Freedom to Operate, and transactional close or termination.
- Initiate interaction with Corporate Legal to drive development and execution of all enabling agreements (NDA, SRA, MSA, SOW, etc.)
- Generate and maintain product financial modeling (e.g., technology stack cost contributions, risk adjusted discounted cash flow valuation models).
- Develop transaction models to evaluate deal term NPV. Build pro-forma P&L for contemplated new business ventures.
- Accurately perform economic/financial analyses for ARD active projects. Apply critical thinking to rationalize and explain the analysis results. Prepare factual summary reports, presentations, memoranda of the economic and financial results, as requested.
- In coordination with Corporate Business Development, compile and share a knowledge base of competitive financial baselines that support in-licensing and acquisition practice (deal comps, valuation practice) of technologies critical to ARD and the relevant Resilience franchises.
- Prepare materials, as requested, that support the CSO in defense of any partnering, licensing, joint ventrue, and acquisition proposals
- Have fun as part of an awesome team of motivated professionals
- Scientifically fluent in cell, gene, and related nucleic acid-based areas
- Ability to create consices business cases for enabling technologies, integrated products, and build versus buy scenarios
- Demonstrated ability to understand and generate product-centric financial models using MS excel, including P&L modeling, probability adjusted NPVs, etc.
- Familiarity with product development and associated regulatory processes in a life sciences field (nice to have)
- Strong Keynote/PowerPoint and presentation capabilities
- Understanding of how to source industry information (scientific advances, relevant deals, etc.) including using competitive intelligence databases
- Strong time management and organization skills
- Absolute team player
- Clear, concise, poised communication
- Detail oriented, proactive, ability to manage cross-functional groups and execute activities on rigid timelines
- Small company mindset – ARD required us all to adapt quickly in a fast-paced, fast-changing, high-growth environment
- Ability to manage highly sensitive company information in confidence and with discretion
- Ability to prioritize multiple high priority tasks effectively; ability to change direction quickly
- Comfortable in a start-up environment
Preferred Experience, Education & Qualifications
- Academic: Graduate Scientific credentials (MSc, PhD, DSc, MD, PharmD) with MBA or PPM highly preferred
- Professional: 5-7 years relevant industry experience (Biotech, pharma, healthcare consulting, research, healthcare investing); cell and gene therapy experience preferred
- Product management or Service as a Product management experience highly preferred