Assistant General Counsel-Remote
Those who join Emergent BioSolutions feel a sense of ownership about their future. You will excel in an environment characterized by respect, innovation and growth opportunities. Here, you will join passionate professionals who advance their scientific, technical and professional skills to develop products designed-to protect life.
I. JOB SUMMARY
The Assistant General Counsel is an experienced attorney who will focus on pharmaceutical, biologic, and medical device contracting issues. This position will provide transactional support and strategic advice to the company’s contract development and manufacturing organization (CDMO) and commercial products business. This is a highly strategic position and is accountable for balancing opportunities with associated legal risks in a complex and fast-evolving environment. This position is also accountable for
collaborating with other members of the Legal team and other functions. This role may be based at one of Emergent’s locations or fully remote.
II. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Prepare and negotiate a broad range of complex agreements, including CDMO services agreements, commercial product supply and distribution agreements, research agreements, license agreements, and clinical trial agreements
• Oversee and manage the assignment of contract requests in the company’s contract lifecycle management system
• Serve as an advisor to leadership teams contributing business and legal expertise/guidance to CDMO services and commercial product business
• Lead and/or oversee a full range of legal transactional support for CDMO and commercial products activities throughout the life cycle of product development and commercialization
• Represent the Legal department on various cross-functional teams and/or committees
• Retain, supervise and direct outside counsel effectively and efficiently managing legal expenses consistent with the Legal operations budget
• Lead educational sessions for Legal group and company
• Assist with due diligence reviews of acquisition targets and the integration of newly acquired companies or contracts
The above statements are intended to describe the nature of work performed by those in this job and are not an exhaustive list of all duties. Nothing in this job description restricts managements right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time which reflects management’s assignment of essential functions.
III. MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, ESSENTIAL SKILLS
• Law Degree from an ABA accredited school and licensed and in good standing in at least one U.S. State
• 10+ years of experience in-house, or combination of in-house and law firm, drafting, negotiating and executing a wide variety of contact development and manufacturing services and commercial contracts in the biopharmaceutical industry
• Experience in navigating successfully in a highly matrixed global work environment
• Excellent oral and written skills
• Strong ability to grasp legal issues quickly, exhibit strong analytical problem solving and decision-making skills, exercise sound judgment, and provide practical and constructive legal advice in a time-sensitive, dynamic, and fast-paced complex environment.
• Strong management, teamwork, and leadership skills with a growth mindset, including the ability to effectively work within a matrix team environment.
• Strong negotiation and communication skills (both oral and written). Ability to communicate legal issues in a clear and understandable manner. Builds relationships across functions and sites and inspires trust and confidence through effective communication and interpersonal skills.
• Strong work ethic and ability to manage large workload, focus on critical priorities, and otherwise effectively meet client needs directly and with team members
• Defines success in terms of team goals, adapts quickly to changing resource requirements, has a clear understanding of other groups’ business priorities, and uses knowledge of organizational culture to achieve objectives
• High level of legal innovation and cross-functional capacity; ability to lead and think beyond “legal” and to lead cross functional innovative initiatives
• Ability to advise on risk-based decisions and to act with a high degree of autonomy
• Excellent attention to details.
• Team-oriented, with a strong sense of humor, sound judgment, and high tolerance for ambiguity.
Successful applicants for this position that are required to be onsite at any Emergent site at any time, must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment, subject to legally required exemptions.
There are physical/mental demands and work environment characteristics that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. This information is available upon request from the candidate.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform all essential functions.
Emergent BioSolutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and values the diversity of our workforce. Emergent does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, genetic information or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Emergent BioSolutions does not accept non-solicited resumes or candidate submittals from search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list. Unsolicited resumes or candidate information submitted to Emergent BioSolutions by search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list shall become the property of Emergent BioSolutions and if the candidate is subsequently hired by Emergent BioSolutions, Emergent BioSolutions shall not owe any fee to the submitting agency.