Microsoft System Engineer
Over the past two decades, shortages of generic, injectable medications critical to the lifesaving work of hospitals in the United States have become commonplace. Approximately 200 medically necessary drugs are on the U.S. Food and Drug Administration's shortage list. Manufacturing challenges and predatory pricing are both the cause and result.
Who suffers most? Patients.
Civica is a 501(c)(4) social welfare organization established in 2018 by health systems and philanthropies to reduce chronic generic drug shortages and related high prices in the United States. Led by an experienced team of health care and pharmaceutical industry leaders.
Today, more than 50 health systems have joined Civica. They represent over 1,200 hospitals and over 30 percent of all U.S. hospital beds. Civica has also begun to supply the U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs, the U.S. Department of Defense, and the U.S. Strategic National Stockpile of essential medicines.
Civica is improving patient outcomes and reducing healthcare costs by making strides to ensure patients and their needs come first and that essential generic medications are accessible and affordable. Since established, the #1 Policy for the Civica team has been “Do What Is in the Best Interest of Patients.”
Civica is launching a subsidiary to enter the Outpatient pharmacy market partnering with Blue Cross Blue Shield with the goal of reducing drug prices, especially high-cost generic drugs where market forces are not working to control drug costs.
To find out more about how Civica's innovative model is directly impacting patient care, click below to read a recent article from the New England Journal of Medicine.
Video Introduction to Civica
The Microsoft System Engineer is responsible for maintaining the Company's computer network by ensuring the functionality of the network routers, network switches, firewalls, assisting in the design of the network architecture and managing the Petersburg Facility computer inventory.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Hands-on oversight and participation on all Microsoft architecture related future projects including integration of local skid-based control systems to plant SCADA
- Hands-on manage and monitor all Microsoft installed systems and infrastructure for network performance and integrity
- Install, configure, test, and maintain operating systems, application software and system management tools
- Assessing computer hardware and software and recommending upgrades to the management when necessary
- Maintaining the phone system of the Petersburg Facility
- Trouble-shooting user issues related to network access, network performance and cybersecurity
- Maintain security, backup, redundancy strategies, and disaster recovery procedures
- Collaborating with external suppliers to ensure that the network works effectively
- Determine equipment or system specifications and the most cost-effective technology to be implemented while still meeting company requirements
- Participate in discussions with internal and external business partners on priorities and timelines, consistently supporting the transparent sharing of information
- Develop equipment specifications in standard documentation - User Requirements (URS), Functional Specification (FS) and Detail Design Specifications (DDS/HDS/SDS).
- Take programs from concept through execution while managing all stages in the process utilizing a strong set of project management tools
- Maintain procedures to meet GMP requirements, CFRs, and internal company policies
- Lead or contribute to projects to support process commercialization of products to ensure smooth transition from development to GMP manufacturing
- Support off hours site-based operations to solve technical issues impacting network
- Implement and revise SOPs to conform with industry standards and company policies
- Liaise with vendors and other IT personnel for problem resolution
- Execute and oversee change controls to update and upgrade IT systems and equipment
- Maintenance: audit the performance, safety and reliability of existing systems; ensure system availability, performance, and reliability through continuous improvement procedures; manage employees' hardware and software as well as the technical support of our clients' diagnostic machines; handle system upgrades and migration
- Tech Writing: design and update tech manuals; lead and supervise procedure training; develop IT policy and best practice guides for the company
- Implementation: commission and set-up of new equipment; train users and provide tech support when needed
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES)
- BS/MS degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related subject
- Minimum 3-5 years working in a cGMP environment
- Experience in authoring and executing test protocols for IT system level commissioning and qualification
- Hands-on experience in security systems, including firewalls, intrusion detection systems, anti-virus software, authentication systems, log management, content filtering, etc
- Experience providing technical support on IT issues and able to drive toward issue resolution.
- Experience with virtualization and containerization (e.g., VMware, Virtual Box)
- Experience with monitoring systems
- Experience with network security and networking technologies and with system, security, and network monitoring tools.
- Background in network administration and architecture
- Thorough understanding of the latest security principles, techniques, and protocols
- Familiarity with web related technologies (Web applications, Web Services, Service Oriented Architectures) and of network/web related protocols
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong project management skill set
- Experience with automation software (e.g., Rockwell RS500, FactoryTalk Suite)
- Solid networking knowledge (OSI network layers, TCP/IP)