Senior Software Engineer II
At Lyell, our vision is to develop curative cell-based immunotherapies for solid tumor cancers. We have innovative science originating from our founder’s world class labs and a unique and disruptive approach to research and development. Our company is first and foremost focused on understanding the science. We are a learning organization, dependent on deep collaborative relationships between all of our colleagues, partners and founders. Our culture is based on Science, Respect, Collaboration and Courage and it reflects who we are and the environment we are creating. This role can be based out of our South San Francisco or Seattle office.
Lyell is looking for a highly motivated Senior Software Engineer II to join the Information Sciences team. In this role, you will be responsible for building a cloud data platform to enable scientists and collaborators to generate meaningful and actionable scientific insights from various data modalities through real-time data access. We are looking for a person who enjoys an environment where you are passionate about using software and technology to help save lives and work on technology from many different data modalities.
KEY ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Design, implement and optimize a reliable, scalable and efficient data infrastructure
- Build and maintain cloud-based data pipelines and microservices architecture to enable our data platform
- Propose and implement changes to our data models, code base and architecture
- Design and implement RESTful APIs
- Work cross-functionally with groups such as software engineering, biological sciences, clinical, and manufacturing to build data products that support business operations
- Help deliver on technical roadmap and strategy
- Drive projects as a technical lead and mentor other engineers
- Bachelors (or greater) degree in Computer Science, Math, Physics, or biological sciences or related fields with 10+ years of professional software development experience
- Demonstrated experience in Python with strong programming skills is a must
- Experience with cloud computing and AWS services,
- Experience delivering microservices using containerization (Docker) in a continuous integration & delivery environment
- Building and managing large-scale data in SQL, NoSQL and/or file-oriented datastore
- Strong knowledge of data modeling
- Experience with real-time and batch computing and data pipelines
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively among cross-functional teams, with a passion for solving data issues faced by research and clinical scientists
- Ability to work efficiently, prioritize workflows, meet deadlines and balance competing priorities
- An interest in biological sciences
- Minimum of 8 years experience building and developing cloud based data platforms
- Prior experience designing full stack web applications using Flask, Django, or FastAPI
- Experience with Infrastructure as a Code and automation tools (i.e. Terraform, CloudFormation)
- Experience developing people and teams through coaching, mentoring and feedback
- Understanding of SQL and query optimization
At Lyell, we believe that highest performing teams include people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences who respectfully challenge each other. We are committed to building an open, diverse and inclusive culture for all employees.
Lyell is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, veteran status or any other characteristics protected under applicable federal, state and local laws.
The Company complies with all laws respecting equal employment opportunity and does not discriminate against applicants with regard to any protected characteristic as defined by federal, state, and local law. This position requires you to work onsite at the Company’s facilities and the Company requires that all employees working in its facilities be fully vaccinated (except as required by applicable law). Therefore, this position requires you to be fully vaccinated from COVID-19, subject to reasonable accommodations for medical or religious reasons, and/or as otherwise required by applicable law. The Company considers you fully vaccinated once 14 days have passed since you received either the second dose in a two-dose COVID-19 vaccine series or a single-dose COVID-19 vaccine. The vaccine must have been FDA approved, have emergency use authorization from the FDA, or, for persons fully vaccinated outside of the U.S., be listed for emergency use by the World Health Organization.”
We’ve learned from experience that some of the best people don’t always match our requirements perfectly - if you’re interested and think you could fit, please don’t hesitate to apply.