Director, Inclusion & Diversity
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based biopharmaceutical company founded in 1987. Together we deliver life-saving therapies to patients in need. With the commitment and drive you bring to the workplace every day, you will be part of a team that is changing the world and helping millions of people live healthier, more fulfilling lives. Our worldwide staff is a close community where you can see the tangible results of your contributions, where every individual matters, and everyone has a chance to enhance their skills through ongoing development. Our scientific focus has resulted in marketed products that are benefiting hundreds of thousands of people, a pipeline of late-stage drug candidates, and unmatched patient access programs to ensure medications are available to those who could otherwise not afford them. By joining Gilead, you will further our mission to address unmet medical needs and improve life by advancing the care of patients with life-threatening diseases.
About the role:
The Director, Inclusion & Diversity (I&D) is responsible for the design, development, and integration of targeted inclusion and diversity strategies that align to Gilead's overall, Inclusion & Diversity approach. The Director of Inclusion & Diversity will serve as the subject matter expert, champion, and change agent responsible for talent solutions and approaches to support development of a diverse workforce. The role will partner with members of the Talent, Development and Inclusion and Talent Acquisition teams. The position reports to the Head of Inclusion & Diversity.
This role will be the SME for employee experience programs including professional development and retention programs aligned with I&D strategies and Gilead's culture journey. This person will spearhead initiatives including leveraging external professional development programs and bring rigor and best practices to Gilead. They will be excited by the proposition of evolving the employee experience and driving behaviors that aligns with the company's core value of Inclusion. Success will involve building relationships with senior leaders, TDI Partners, HR business partners, Business Resource Groups, and bringing the I&D strategy to life across the enterprise.
The successful candidate will be a leader with the intellect and subject matter expertise to become a trusted partner and confidant to business leadership and employees at all levels. This individual will need to operate in the demanding environment with a discerning intellectual agility and a strong results-oriented mindset that is focused on the engagement of employees across the enterprise and accountability of colleagues across different functions. The Director will evaluate, select, and manage external partnerships, vendors, and consultants to ensure the successful execution of initiatives, programs, and business priorities.
Specific Job Requirements:
- Partner with the Global Head of I&D to manage the I&D strategy and initiatives aligned to the enterprise strategy.
- Serve as a subject matter expert on diverse employee experience related initiatives including professional development and retention.
- Developing diversity initiatives based on a common I&D framework supporting Gilead's core values.
- HR experience and an understanding of compliance, processes, and the talent management cycle.
- Effective program management skills including the ability to lead and work effectively across multiple priorities and manage stakeholders at varying levels of the organization.
- Ability to navigate complexity and thrive in a fast-paced and changing environment using strong judgment and decision-making skills.
- Develop and support employee engagement forums including workplace conversations, roundtables, etc advancing the needs of diverse employees.
- The ability to interpret data and translate into actionable insights and recommendations.
- Demonstrate the behaviors required to represent company values, culture, and code of conduct.
- Provide coaching and guidance to employees and leaders to maximize the diverse employee experience.
- Develop, drive, and deliver DEI programs and initiatives to support the overall strategy and goals.
- Ability to successfully manage multiple complex, time-sensitive priorities, and competing demands with multiple stakeholders.
- Outstanding communication (written and verbal), presentation, and facilitation skills; ability to confidently engage at all levels of the organization.
- Sound judgment and decision-making as well as ability to manage confidential information appropriately.
- Experienced in change management and creating alignment with a diverse set of stakeholders on a global level.
- Capacity to navigate at all altitudes across the organization, utilizing strategic insight, excellent project management skills, and the ability to get things done with a sense of urgency.
- Broad business acumen combined with deep functional knowledge of I&D best practices.
- Bachelor's and/or master's degree or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- 10+ years progressive experience in Inclusion and Diversity leadership with a demonstrated ability to develop and execute effective strategies and deliver enterprise-wide initiatives.
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance. For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the EEO is the Law poster.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Apply online today at www.gilead.com/careers
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com for assistance.
Following extensive monitoring, research, consideration of business implications and advice from internal and external experts, Gilead has made the decision to require all U.S. employees and contractors to receive the COVID-19 vaccines as a condition of employment. "Full vaccination" is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request a reasonable accommodation.​
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the ‘EEO is the Law' poster.
NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACT
YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACT
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.