Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide. Headquartered in Foster City, California, Gilead has operations in North, South and Central America, Europe, Africa, Asia and Australia. Gilead makes it a priority to increase access to its medicines for people who can benefit from them, regardless of where they live or their economic status.
Responsibilities: Gilead is seeking a Manager of Accounting who will be responsible for cash accounting, operating expense accruals, reclassifications, lease accounting, prepaid accounting, and respective reconciliations for the North America Region. The Manager will provide accounting support to the North America Financial Shared Services Center (NA FSS) in accordance with US GAAP.
In this role the successful candidate will:
- Partner with FP&A colleagues to coordinate and execute the monthly accrual process. The functional areas include: Sales & Marketing, General & Administrative, Manufacturing, Facilities, Technical Accounting as well as external vendors.
- Ensure Leasing activities are recorded in accordance with ASC 842.
- Thorough review of journal entries, following up with requestors for any additional support or understandings if necessary. Ensure accrual balances are reviewed and supported.
- Thorough review and approval of account reconciliations. Prepare Balance Sheet Flux analysis and provide commentary.
- Ensure financial results are recorded in accordance with GAAP.
- Maintain a control environment in which the processes are consistent with the requirements of Sarbanes-Oxley and Gilead's Controller's Manual.
- Identify and lead process improvements and participate in or lead cross-functional initiatives to implement best practices.
- Maintain a great working relationship with all business partners. Provide accounting guidance and training to staff and business partners as required. Review accruals with FP&A business partners in advance of the quarter closes.
- Lead implementation of bank reconciliations for new bank accounts in the bank reconciliation module.
- Interact with internal and external auditors to ensure the quarterly review and audit activities are executed in a timely manner.
- Provide hands-on managerial leadership and guidance to staff. Work with employees to promote development and optimize workload distribution within the group.
- Support ERP enhancements, reporting enhancements, and UAT testing.
Essential Duties and Job Functions:
- Manages accounting sub-function and preparation of reports and statistics detailing financial results.
- Coordinates schedules, activities and reports with other departments.
- Establishes and maintains operating procedures within the context of existing SOX controls and company policies.
- Performs detailed review and approval of journal entries and supporting documentation for the month-end close and accounting transactions.
- Performs detailed review and approval of month-end reconciliations for related balance sheet accounts.
- Prepares analyses and schedules for management as well as internal and external auditors.
- Frequently interacts with peers, outside vendors, external auditors and functional group members at various management levels, requiring the ability to conduct presentations, provide technical information concerning specific projects and displaying the ability to influence others.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
- 6+ years of relevant experience and a BA or BS degree in accounting or equivalent or 4+ years relevant experience and a MA/MS Degree.
- Prior supervisory experience strongly preferred.
- Experience with SAP strongly preferred.
- Must be able to apply accounting knowledge to day-to-day operations and assigned projects.
- Strong technical expertise in their area of responsibility is required.
- Proficiency with Microsoft tools (Excel, Outlook, and Word) required.
- Strong written, presentation and interpersonal skills are required.
- Excellent organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills are required.
- Able to work in a fast-paced, changing environment, meeting deadlines in an accurate and timely manner.
- Must be detail oriented.
- Experience in biotech or pharmaceuticals industry a plus.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com for assistance.
Following extensive monitoring, research, consideration of business implications and advice from internal and external experts, Gilead has made the decision to require all U.S. employees and contractors to receive the COVID-19 vaccines as a condition of employment. "Full vaccination" is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request a reasonable accommodation.​
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the ‘EEO is the Law' poster.
NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACT
YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACT
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.