Sourcing and Procurement Manager, External Supply & Medical Devices (REMOTE)
Those who join Emergent BioSolutions feel a sense of ownership about their future. You will excel in an environment characterized by respect, innovation and growth opportunities. Here, you will join passionate professionals who advance their scientific, technical and professional skills to develop products designed-to protect life.
I. JOB SUMMARY
The Manager of External Supply (ES) & Medical Devices will be a member of the Sourcing & Procurement (S&P) team reporting to the Global Category Head, ES & Devices. The role will focus on the External Supply & Device categories, supporting the execution of procurement and business strategies for the assigned categories. The role is accountable for managing supplier relationships, ensuring engagement and alignment with internal business partners, and growing the category influence into Product Development, Global Supply Chain, Operations, and Commercial areas globally.
The successful candidate will be responsible for leading the sourcing, contract development, and relationships of Contract Manufacturing/External Service providers within the business. Will be responsible for Supplier negotiations, discussions, selection and will keep a pulse on the market landscape supporting R & D and commercial programs. Additionally, this position will be responsible for the oversite of our commercial manufacturing contracts within the category and facilitate communications regarding supplier pricing and requests for work to be completed.
This position will regularly work across functions and at all levels within the Organization. Must be service oriented but focused on delivering on Emergent’s Global Supply Chain Core Value proposition of Spend Value, Efficiency and De-Risking of the end-to-end supply chain.
The role is remote/virtual.
II. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Support and lead the Emergent ES and Device categories globally including supplier management activities, negotiation, bidding, contracting, delivery, quality, and cost performance, as well as the overall relationship management between Company and the respective supplier base.
- Support the Procurement team’s activities for ES and Device categories.
- The role will focus on holistic value creation, blending a need for outstanding business partnering alongside category and supplier management excellence. The role has broad responsibility for ensuring that the category strategy and delivery reflect the broader business requirements of the organization and the internal customers.
- Develop and implement and ES and Device Category strategies.
- Track value creation and risk mitigation achieved through effectively using S&P best practice, process and procedure when managing suppliers, contracts and projects.
- Facilitate ES and Device category strategy discussions with core team members across multi-functional groups and drive compliance and alignment across Emergent.
- Responsible for the achievement of established KPI's and goals for assigned category.
- Build process for category execution across Emergent.
- Responsible for supplier management to include sourcing, bidding, cross-function selection, contract establishment and management, and partnering with our internal customers and suppliers to execute strategy.
- Builds effective and collaborative relationships with vendors and employees on all levels.
- Deliver sustainable business value including supply assurance, risk mitigation, cost, quality, and service levels with business partners.
- Lead internal process across Emergent for early purchasing involvement through supplier sourcing, selection process including capabilities assessment, technical evaluation, and cost/price analysis.
- Provide leadership and guidance to analyze supplier's operations to determine factors that affect prices and determine best value consistent with quality and delivery requirements.
- Globally negotiate with suppliers for competitive price and execute supply agreements when suitable. Actively pursue Cost Reduction opportunities in accordance with overall Emergent global sourcing strategies and deliver to assigned yearly savings targets.
- Liaison between business functional areas and Legal Affairs.
- Work closely with the relevant stakeholders to understand the business functional needs and drive the negotiation and contract based on their requirements, while constantly communicating the status and outcome.
- Participate in other S&P projects as assigned
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of work performed by those in this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties, and other duties may be assigned.
III. MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS
- Bachelor's degree in Supply Chain Management, Engineering, Business Management, or related field required. Engineering, Science preferred
- 5 years of Direct Sourcing and category management within the Pharma or related industry
- Demonstrated External Sourcing-Contract Manufacturing and Device category experience
- Demonstrated experience managing suppliers, negotiating contracts and delivering YOY cost savings.
- Demonstrated experience in successfully working in a matrixed environment.
- Experience in negotiating complex supply and service legal agreements
- Excellent Communication skills both written and verbal
- Mastery of skills to develop and implement sourcing strategies, facilitate negotiations, benchmark and manage commercial agreements. Excellent decision making, analytical, problem solving, team building, coaching and change management skills
- Ability to collaborate with internal and external partners at Senior levels
- Ability to manage, prioritize and work cross functionally to influence behaviors and gain consensus
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks
- Prior Biopharmaceutical experience preferred
- SAP experience preferred
- APICS or ISM Certification desired
- Matrix and global management experience preferred
- Experience in Lean principles and concepts
- R&D sourcing experience including Devices
Successful applicants for this position must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Individuals with qualifying medical issues or sincerely held religious beliefs or practices that may prevent them from getting the vaccine may request an exemption from the vaccine requirement.
There are physical/mental demands and work environment characteristics that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. This information is available upon request from the candidate.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform all essential functions.
Emergent BioSolutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and values the diversity of our workforce. Emergent does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, genetic information or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Emergent BioSolutions does not accept non-solicited resumes or candidate submittals from search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list. Unsolicited resumes or candidate information submitted to Emergent BioSolutions by search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list shall become the property of Emergent BioSolutions and if the candidate is subsequently hired by Emergent BioSolutions, Emergent BioSolutions shall not owe any fee to the submitting agency.