Vice President, Biochemistry
Please be aware that, as a condition of employment, proof of COVID vaccination is required for all U.S.-based employees (subject to limited exceptions). To ensure the health and safety of all PacBio employees and our prospective candidates, we have instituted a virtual interview and onboarding experience.
Vice President, Biochemistry
We are seeking a Vice President of Biochemistry to lead a highly innovative organization in Product Development. The successful candidate will have experience in molecular biology, a working knowledge of automated systems and deep expertise in next-generation sequencing methods and technologies. This position will lead an integrated and combined organization that develops biochemistry for the short- and long-read NGS platforms at PacBio. This position will also require an ability to work cross-functionally with software/bioinformatics, engineering, and manufacturing teams.
- The VP of Biochemistry will lead a world-class team of product development scientists.
- Lead a cross-site organization for the development of NGS platforms and applications.
- Works collaboratively with the research and commercial organizations to create a product and technology roadmap.
- Works collaboratively with functional teams across the company to create robust, manufacturable and high-performance NGS platforms.
- Guide the Biochemistry Development team to achieve platform performance targets as defined by a Product Development Process.
- Integrate technical capabilities across development sites.
- Develop highly differentiated and fully integrated end-to-end applications for our sequencing platforms.
- Provides strategic leadership as a member of the senior management team to establish long-range goals, plans and vision.
- Present program/project updates to senior management.
EDUCATION, SKILLS, & EXPERIENCE:
- Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Molecular/Cell Biology or a related field with ≥ 10 years industry experience.
- Extensive knowledge and experience with molecular techniques and with a deep understanding of biochemical mechanisms.
- Working knowledge and experience with modern nucleic acid sequence analysis and other bioinformatics tools is desired.
- Strong presentation and communication skills.
- Outstanding organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Experience with fluidic systems and the development of biochemistry workflows on an automated system is highly desired.
- Prior experience in the development of next-generation DNA sequencing platforms and applications is essential.
- Experience with optimizing benchtop protocols for use in an automated system is highly desired.
- Experience working with library preparation, isothermal amplification and some understanding of surface covalent chemistry is an advantage.
ATTITUDE & ATTRIBUTES:
- Must possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills to facilitate interactions with a highly cross-functional team.
- Must have experience managing a small team of individuals
- We desire a candidate that is open to change, highly innovative and a creative thinker.
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional tasks and responsibilities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability, gender identity, and sexual orientation.