Senior Research Associate, Analytical Development
About the role
Sana Biotechnology is growing, and we are hiring new team members who believe in the potential of engineered cells as medicines, who want to challenge status quo, and who lead with the desire to work on novel ideas. As a Senior Research Associate, you will report to the Scientist of Early Cell-Based Assays to work on cell-based assay development activities and potency characterization methods for our gene therapy programs. You will be at the forefront of gene therapy approaches utilizing a novel biological platform, and we are seeking a creative and hardworking individual that shares our excitement in the potential of this platform. The position represents an excellent opportunity for career development, working closely with experienced cell and gene therapy scientists in a highly collaborative environment.
What you’ll do
- Key contributor towards potency assay development for gene therapy programs, including flow cytometry, ELISA, Luminex or MSD, and gene expression assays
- Develop MOA-reflective methodologies for use in both regulated (e.g. lot release, in-process, and stability testing) and unregulated environments (e.g. characterization)
- Optimize and execute robust and reproducible assays in support of both discovery research and pre-clinical development
- Execute assays for vector characterization, such as functional titer, physical particle counts, and characterization of residual impurities (e.g. DNA and host cell protein)
- Integrate data with cross-functional R&D teams and present data regularly at team meetings
- Implement superb documentation of procedures and experiments to support tech transfer
- Demonstrate Sana’s core values and the attributes that support these core values (Lead from every seat, Thrive as a team, Make it happen)
What we’re looking for
- MS in molecular biology, biomedical sciences, immunology, virology or related discipline with 1-2 years of relevant experience or BA degree with 4+ years of experience
- Experience in immunology / immuno-oncology is strongly preferred
- Experience with suspension and adherent mammalian cell culture, such as CHO, HEK293, or similar cell lines
- Strong knowledge of flow cytometry principles, method development & optimization, and data analysis
- Prior experience in development and execution of assays to measure proteins and DNA using a variety of methodologies including qPCR, ddPCR, electrophoresis, and ELISA
- Excellent bench skills with attention to detail and high standards for data integrity and quality
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills for technical and non-technical audiences
- Demonstrated strong critical thinking and organizational skills
- Detail oriented, self-motivated, independent, flexible, and able to prioritize several projects concurrently in a fast-paced start-up environment
- Demonstrated ability to work in cross-functional teams as a strong team player
- Demonstrated ability to exhibit curiosity
- Ability to engage in crucial conversations – providing and receiving feedback
What will separate you from the crowd
- Experience with cell-based viral titration assays (e.g. flow cytometry, PCR, ELISA)
- Experience with viral vector systems, production and/or purification
- Familiarity with development and/or qualification of cell-based and gene therapy therapeutics, including the development of analytical methods
- Familiarity with GxP principles and regulations as demonstrated by assay and/or technology transfer to GxP manufacturing, or significant laboratory support of IND/BLA submissions
- Experience in authoring and reviewing documentation including technical documents, protocols and reports connected to assay development, validation and sample testing in IND filing documents
What you should know
- Working safely in person on a predictable and regular in-person basis is an essential job function for this position, and the Company requires that all individuals working in-person be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including receipt of a vaccine booster shot if recommended by the CDC
How we work together
- Lead from every seat – we seek to understand, act with honesty, and engage in the crucial conversations
- Thrive as a team – we hire amazing people, are intensely curious, and cultivate inclusion and personal connectivity
- Make it happen – we value vigorous debate, alignment around our decisions, and resilient execution
Get to know us
At Sana, we believe that a diverse workforce strengthens us as a company and helps us to achieve our mission to meaningfully change the outcome of many human diseases. This belief is a pillar of our business and is critical to our success. Our goal is that Sana is the place for talented people to bring their authentic selves to work, to have a great career and to deeply, positively impact patients.
Core to our values, we believe there is nothing more important than the health and wellness of you and your family. For benefit eligible employees, we cover 100% of the cost for employee health coverage and offer generous time-off, parental leave, short- and long-term disability, employer paid basic life insurance, additional voluntary life insurance protection, financial wellness programs including financial planning resources, a 401(k) Plan with an immediately vested employer match, Tuition Reimbursement and Student Loan Repayment, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, commuter subsidy and a variety of wellness offerings to support each person individually.
We are committed to providing a workplace free of discrimination and harassment based on race, color, religion, age, gender, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental or sensory disability (including the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability), genetic information, actual or perceived HIV or Hepatitis C infection, medical condition (cancer or a record or history of cancer and genetic characteristics), marital status, sexual orientation, sexual preference, pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions), disability, veteran status, political ideology, social class (including caste/caste identity), taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
To perform this job successfully, you must be able to perform each job responsibility satisfactorily. The job description listed above is representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required for this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions described above.