Associate Scientist, ML Health Modeling
Associate Scientist ML Model Data, Associate Statistical Scientist
Freenome is a high-growth biotech company on a mission since 2014 to create tools that empower everyone to prevent, detect, and treat their disease. To achieve this mission, Freenome is developing next-generation blood tests to detect cancer in its earliest, most treatable stages using our multiomics platform and machine learning techniques. Our first blood test will detect early-stage colorectal cancer and advanced adenomas.
Can you see details in data that others don’t? Translate your thoughts easily into analyses and code? Would you like to join a close-knit team of scientists pushing the limits of machine learning methods and changing the paradigm of healthcare from disease treatment to prevention? If that describes you, we want you on our team!
As an Associate Scientist ML Model Data, you will work closely with the existing team and participate in our daily meetings as we work to solve new problems. Initially, your work will focus on preparing RWD healthcare datasets for statistical and ML modeling. This will involve ETL work and statistical investigation. Your ability to detect biases and unanticipated anomalies, and your insight into the potential consequences, will guide you as you clean the data and create a defensive wall of unit tests. The integrity of the models we create will depend on your vigilance. As the project matures, you may be called in to play similar roles in data and output QC, develop data surveillance systems, do complex analytics, feature engineering, software development, and eventually participate in disease model building. With your analytic acumen, passion for detail, and high-quality code, you will help us transform healthcare one disease at a time!
How you’ll contribute:
- Work cross-functionally to support execution of RWD ELT ingests and data preparation, including data mapping, cleaning, structuring, and selection to create “regulatory-grade” research-ready observational datasets
- Design and implement analyses to root out biases, anomalies, and other perfidities.
- Build robust quality protocols for ingested RWD
- Develop distributed software pipelines to engineer features from large RWD datasets
- Aid in design and implementation of observational validation studies and metrics to simulate and estimate in situ model performance
- Design and develop software for distributed training of predictive models
- Present experimental results cross-functionally
What you’ll bring:
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s Degree in mathematics, physics, statistics, computer science, aeronautical or chemical engineering, or another highly quantitative field
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills
- Expertise in SQL and Python
- Hands-on experience working with large datasets
- Experience with big data management solutions such as distributed computing
- Knowledge of data interrogation and visualization techniques
- Good written and verbal communication skills and a collaborative approach
As a condition of employment, you agree to know and comply with our COVID-19 vaccination policy requiring all employees who work on-site and/or attend work-related events to be fully vaccinated and to receive a COVID-19 booster once eligible. Company employees working on-site are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and to receive a COVID-19 booster once eligible, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law. Absent a reasonable accommodation or legal exception, you agree to provide proof of your vaccination status and to be fully vaccinated by your first day on-site, in accordance with our policy. If you are currently eligible for a COVID-19 booster, you also agree to provide proof of having received a booster. If you are not yet eligible for a COVID-19 booster, you must provide proof of receiving a booster within two weeks of becoming eligible.
Freenome is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. Freenome does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
We have raised more than $1.1B from leading investors including Perceptive Advisors, RA Capital Management, Roche Venture Fund, Kaiser Permanente, Novartis and the American Cancer Society’s BrightEdge Ventures.
A ‘Freenomer’ is a mission-driven employee who is fueled by the opportunity to make a positive impact on patients' lives, who thrives in a culture of respect and cross collaboration, and whose work makes a significant impact on the company and their career.
Freenomers are technical, creative, visionary, grounded, empathetic and passionate. We build teams around divergent expertise, allowing us to solve problems and ascertain opportunities in unique ways. Freenomers are some of the most talented experts in their fields, joining together to advance healthcare, one breakthrough at a time.
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Competitive compensation
- Pre-IPO equity
- Flexible PTO (exempt) and generous PTO (non-exempt)
- Comprehensive health coverage, including medical, dental, and vision
- Wellness and mental health resources, including Employee Assistance Programs (EAPs), Paid maternity and paternity leave
- 401(k) plan
- $250.00 new hire stipend to enhance your home office experience
- Plus, a variety of other perks, including pre-tax commuter benefits, two paid volunteer days per year, pet insurance, and additional discounts
# # #
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws.
Notice to agencies:
Our in-house Talent Acquisition Team manages all employment opportunities at Freenome. Agencies and independent recruiters must be approved as a vendor by Freenome’s Talent Acquisition team before submitting candidates to any Freenome employee.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes or biographies from agencies under any circumstances. Any unsolicited resumes sent to Freenome, including those sent to a Freenome email address or directly to Freenome employees, will be considered Freenome property. Freenome will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume. Freenome will consider any candidate for whom an Agency has submitted an unsolicited resume to have been referred by the Agency free of any charges or fees.
Please do not contact Freenome employees directly. Compliance with this request will impact our decision to work with you.