Head of Commercial Excellence
Title:Head of Commercial Excellence
Company:Ipsen Biopharmaceuticals Inc.
Ipsen is seeking a highly strategic and passionate commercial leader to join the Business Operations & Strategy (BOS) leadership team and work at our Cambridge HQ. The Head of Commercial Excellence will be responsible for owning the strategy and execution of sales & field operations, sales enablement, customer engagement, incentive compensation and sales force targeting & alignment across the brands. The role reports directly to the Vice President of North American Business Operations & Strategy.
The role will have ownership of all key deliverables needed to execute an effective sales strategy (e.g., targeting, alignment, segmentation, ROI measurement, SFA strategy, insights) as well as key operational support functions (incentive compensation, meetings, fleet vehicles). This leader will ensure day-to-day operational excellence for Ipsen North America, with a focus on maximizing the effectiveness of the field force.
The Head of Commercial Excellence will be expected to build and lead a high-caliber team while promoting a culture of collaboration and strategic thinking. The leader who fills this role will be a key advocate for streamlining the technical and organizational infrastructure supporting data-driven decision making at Ipsen, while realizing continuous improvement across key analytic and operational functions.
Main Responsibilities & Job Expectations:
- Provide strategic direction to team Commercial Excellence team ensuring goals are achieved and support successful execution of Business Operations and Ipsen’s strategic objectives
- Serve as strategic business partner across all brand teams
- Provide strategic guidance to the VP, Business Operations & Strategy and C-suite executives at the intersection of sales operations and insights
- Serve as a key liaison between Sales and the Business Operations & Strategy (BOS) leadership teams, working closely with cross-functional commercial leaders to drive field team ROI
- Drive effective sales force metrics, develop & execute successful Go-To-Market strategies based on market dynamics and deep understanding of customer needs and preferences
- Partner with Sales Leadership in development of field communication, special programs such as incentives, and organization of field sales Plan of Action and National Sales Meetings
- Lead the US targeting function and manage the Targeting & Alignment team to oversee deliverables including, targeting, alignments, segmentation, call planning and anchoring across Business Unit
- Lead Launch Excellence to provide expertise, leadership to assure successful launch planning and execution of future launches. Responsible for the creation of launch roadmaps, inclusive of milestones, timelines, and readiness for all go to market planning.
- Lead the US SFA capabilities and manage the team to oversee deliverables including CRM support across all CLM initiatives (e.g. email campaigns, consent management, Veeva approved emails etc.), management of Customer Universe in CRM, loading and maintaining alignments in Veeva Align, as well as translating business needs into functional requirements across Business Units
- Lead the corporate Sales Incentive strategy and manage the team who is responsible for leading innovative plan and contest design as well as operational support including implementation and engagement rates and ensuring plans reward appropriate field execution tactics aligned with Brand and Ipsen Strategic Imperatives
- Prioritize inbound requests for Sales Insights to ensure the team is working in lockstep with Ipsen’s overall business strategy and aligned with our Brand SIs
- Ensure timely and accurate execution of ad hoc requests across Commercial Excellence deliverables and propose process changes to mitigate the need for ad hoc requests through streamlining and automation
- Leverage business intelligence and analytical tools as well as integrated insights from the field and stakeholders to guide complex decision making and setting strategic direction which can help the organization to remain competitive
- Understand best practices in life science data, analytics, and operations to provide recommendations for data sources and enablement capabilities which can meet changing franchise business needs
- Consistently measure and benchmark operational excellence with like organizations ensuring industry leading best practices
- Oversee key vendor relationships for execution of Commercial Operations including contract and budget management, performance management and ad hoc issue resolution
Knowledge, abilities & experience:
Education & Experience:
- BA/BS is required; MBA or other advanced degree is preferred
- 15+ years of work experience in the pharma / biotech l industry preferred
- 12+ years of experience in analytics, sales, and market research preferred
- 10+ years of direct team leadership experience preferred, with the influence to manage a cross-functional team of individuals with diverse skill sets and backgrounds
Key Technical Competencies and Skills Required:
- Strong commercial understanding including Go To Market strategies, field Incentive Compensation design & execution, sales, and marketing KPIs and Metrics; strong understanding of sales processes; customer segmentation, customer profiling methodologies, and understanding of how they impact financial results
- Deep understanding of commercial aspects of Oncology, Neuroscience and Rare Disease, including brand management, sales planning and execution, market access, and regulatory environments
- High exposure to US pharmaceutical market dynamics and competitive intelligence – knowing market trends, familiarity of trends in healthcare, emerging business models and best practices
- Exposed to new product launches / product management practices with a focus on sales force sizing, targeting / segmentation, etc.
- Ability to anticipate internal and external business challenges and recommend process, product, or service improvements
- Strategic mindset with high degree of creativity and innovation in developing new approaches, processes, and methodologies to enhance commercial operations
- Ability to effectively perform all functions in adherence with legal, compliance, and regulatory guidelines in the pharmaceutical industry
- Strong leadership skills with an ability to advise senior-level executives, develop employees, foster a culture of collaboration and open communication, and drive organizational changes
- Highly effective change agent who engages with senior stakeholders to deliver the commercial programs to the organization
- Advanced oral and written communication, interpersonal, public relations, facilitation, management, decision-making, collaboration, and organizational skills
In order to maintain a safe work environment, Ipsen requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against the Covid 19 virus at the time of employment.IPSEN is an equal opportunity employer that strictly prohibits unlawful discrimination. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to an individual’s race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, mental/physical disability, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.